Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51276 times)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #2300 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Bona, Yes, the finish goes over the wrap.  I don't think that tru oil or almost any finish will adhere to the waxed bow string material.  I have used serving for several wraps with good success, mine is not waxed though.  Hope this helps.....Dan

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2301 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Thanks Dan, I will find an alternative.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2302 on: August 11, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
no bow yet sticks, but i will be watching the mail much harder now that i know my bow is in route.  i will be sure and let you guys know when it arrives.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2303 on: August 11, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Bona,
Just a brainstorm but I bet unwaxed dental floss will work, and heck you could die it any color you want.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2304 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Bona, any good thread will work for the wraps. I use silk from 3Rivers...but any will work!  There really isn't any stress there, it basically keeps the skin from lifting there and dresses it up a bit. I usually use super glue but TB glue will work. After it cures I sand with very fine sandpaper and add another layer of super glue, sand again and then add any finish. I use Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2305 on: August 12, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the bow I got from H8nonCubs.  I still owe a picture or two.  I keep watching and hoping he gets his bow soon -- wondering which one it will be...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2306 on: August 12, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
That's really sad about those guys who committed to this bow swap, then just dropped the ball and ran away. I understand that life gets in the way, but even if you have to go to the library and use a public computer to let Stiks or Kelly know what's going on, that's all it takes to do the right thing. There's no excuse for silence or pulling a Houdini act or hiding from view, be a stand up guy and let somebody know what's going on with you.

And by rights Bowur should hand over the one he got to the guy who he was supposed to build for. That's completely unacceptable behavior in my opinion.   "[dntthnk]"  

I just hope it works out for those guys still waiting for their bow. I can't help but feel sorry for you fellas who got jilted, that really sucks!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2307 on: August 12, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
i might have to forward my bow. the knot is a big concern. im going to work it no matter what , but its going slower than i'd like.

maybe just forward it as a 'check this out until yours is done' kinda deal.

havent seen or heard from my recip yet. will keep at it until i hear otherwise. or something bad happens.

walkin out the door to work , ill be on later with the pics

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2308 on: August 12, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
I like that idea Kelly, resourceful and inexpensive.

John Strunk uses size D nylon fishing line in red. I tried to google that and was having trouble finding it. Found something cool I want to try sometime though.

Pat, I couldn't find my spool of silk but was thinking it might be too thin for this anyway. The python skins are thicker than the rattler skins I'm use to. I would have tried it if I could have found it anyway. I was thinking some glue would be in order but didn't see where anyone has used it before. I will do as you suggest.

Thanks everbody!
Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2309 on: August 12, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Semo it is all ok things are in works behind the scene to make it all right. Now lets not focus on the .05% who could make this bad thing, but the 99.95% who made this a wonderful event.
Now lets see them last few bows.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2310 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Bona, what about the braided fishing line?  Stuff is spectra I think, very strong, glues well, and comes in colors to differentiate poundage (yellow, red, green, etc)?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2311 on: August 12, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I was in Walmart today and looked at some of the fishing line there. I saw some 65# line in "moss green" that I think would work but could find no red. I was going to try and remember the name of it but it's gone already.  :rolleyes:  

I have some red serving coming that was pretty inexpensive.

Thanks!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2312 on: August 12, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Yes, lets see those last few bows! Seasons gettin close (34 days). And I would love to shoot a new bow. I realize I'm in the minority as far as this swap goes. Everyones doin a fine job to make this swap what is and I have no worries as whether or not I'll receive a bow. As I know last year there was one outta forty something participants I believe that didn't come through and my nieghbor (dvscowboy) made another trade bow to send to the guy that didn't receive his.
 There's some really outstanding people\\bowyers on this site and we shouldn't worry ourselves with the few that that either signed up on a whim(with no real intent to build) or even those that may have got in over their heads or fell upon hard times.
 I've enjoyed this build and look forward to next years
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2313 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Well said Semo, But as I stated last year EVERYONE WILL GET A BOW IN RETURN.

Last year I had about 15 or so guys that where in the swap and I let the one guy that got stiffed pick from that list.

I have had several PM's with the same offer this year    :clapper:  Got to love this place.

As far as being late go's, It happens in the world of building bows. I myself have had a heck of a time then started a new job working 6 days a week and that don't help but I'm getting there as are others.

For the shows if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent a crook from getting a bow in this deal let me know.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2314 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Bona I usually use silk thread from 3Rivers for the wrap at the end of a skin or rawhide and saturate it with super glue like I described. I have also used string serving but it is really too thick for my liking. Like I said there is very little stress where the wrap goes. It is more to dress up the raw skin end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2315 on: August 12, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
#1 im not semo
#2 its dvs hunter not cowboy.
He wanted to make sure I posted an edit. So there it is, pretty bad when you forget your buddies screen name, woops!
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2316 on: August 12, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I think DVS might just have a little cowboy in him Cubs LOL

I know you'd be hard pressed to find a better friend

I was referring to Semo's post a page back but you also made a great point.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2317 on: August 13, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Gotcha, yeah hes not too bad

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2318 on: August 13, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
There's jackwads in everything we do here on earth.  Just drive my 26 mile commute around Indy some afternoon if you need to prove it to yourself.  That's why it's not heaven.  It's also why God is merciful.  Seems there's a line in a prayer I heard once about forgiving those who trespass against us  :)   80% is about all I would expect.  The rest is gravy.  Mmmmm gravy!  Peace to all.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2319 on: August 13, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
i know damn well dvs has cowboy in him lolol  he hange out with me and can do the talk as well as me lol  how u hon  and dvs ? ready hit the hills waitin for stringman get here these bulls are  startin to get hot brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©