Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51152 times)

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
greg  u  did a real nice job on those i relley like em  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I dont know what to say other than WOW!!! those are some AWSUM BOWS!!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Nice bows, guys... I have to stop looking on here or I'll never get started on a bow.  Can't tell if these are more motivational or intimidating!  Beautiful bows.
Stan

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Well just a little tally
84 boywers 1 recieved bow, one shipped bow and a finished bow waiting to be shipped
Just thougt yall might like to know. Oh and a heck of a lot of bows on the Bench.  :)
God Bless and Happy building,
Kelly

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Got a bit of work done here the past couple of hours.  She's 51 lbs @ 20" with an extremely long string.   ;)   There's a good picture of where a flat spot would be going along the growth rings.  Cut out a knot there and if I was just looking at the limb I would leave it without any dips in the belly.  But since the back jumps up as well I'll do my best to follow.  Still got a bit more wood removal before I can even think about making a string or bracing it up.  Although we are getting close.  

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
lookin good to me so far goose. i have to say i wouldnt be lookin at draw wieght on the long string at this moment , id be lookin for equal tip movement and arc of circle until you get it braced on the short string.. you rough shaping and the way the belly looks so far ar awesome. i can see you are on your way to an awesome selfbow. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I'm working on getting a good bend but also not pulling over my intended draw weight (which may or may not be over 50lbs).  I'm talented at pulling way too much on a long string.  Just getting an idea  :D
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Because of the leverage of the limbs and the angle of the string a long string will give you a false weight reading. Like Ruddy said get her to a short string and low brace. Checking weight with the bow braced will give you a more accurate reading even at a low brace height.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Well I'm bummed out tonight. My swap bow developed a hinge. After 2 pretty BBO's the past 2 months, I got stupid today. Live and learn and start on another I say:)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Wow some more nice looking bows coming together.
 Greg, those are beauties.
 Goose looking real good.Like Pat said get to short string ASAP.
 I got some Buffalo sinew pounded and stripped today. I'll do a little more tomarrow and start getting that bow sinewed.
 Do most people here know how to prepare sinew or should I post pics of that process as well?

Roy,Sorry to hear that. Thats bow building, Sometimes your in the grove and everything clicks and other days you go back to school. Happens to us all.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Always interested in pics Keenan!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
I hate drying wood. Its like watching paint dry.   :banghead:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: February 02, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Well Roy sorry to hear that but you get to start a new one. Goose you got a good start on a bow so far.
God Bless and Happy Building,
Kelly

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: February 02, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Heres where I am so far.Ive got my profile cut out of bamboo.Ive thinned the bamboo from handle to tip on the belt sander.Ive ran the toothing plane over the boo,yew core and hickory belly stock. Using a toothing plane was a new experience for me. It worked great once I got the feel for it. I was planning on using shrink wrap as a clamp,but the more I think about it I might be better off to use another type of clamping system that way I do not have to cut the profile out of the yew and belly wood until after glue up,I feel this would leave a little margin for error such a slippage.(but im afraid if I use just shrink wrap without cutting the complete profile out first it wouldnt clamp tight enough.Is this correct?).For glue Im using urac 185.Im going to reflex the tips using a board form  with 3" blocks at the tips.Im undecided weather to put any deflex in it.If I choose to only put reflex in it do I still need to clamp the limb down to my form at mid limb or just the handle area? I know I need to use c- clamps for the handle regardless. Are spring clamps strong enough to get a good glue line on the limbs them selves? I was thinking of using both shrink wrap and spring clamps?Any tips will be greatly appriciated.Sorry for the long winded post.Thanks, Scott

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
If you don't mind me saying you will be better served making the yew your belly wood and the hickory the core. Yew is strong in compression and hickory is not. Boo is very strong in tension and can overpower the less strong belly wood. The core(center lam) hardly has any stresses on it and hickory will be fine for that.
  Whatever you decide, good luck on your build and keep us informed on your progress and din't forget the pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
oooo a boo/hick/yew d-bow. sounds like you drew ruddy...199# @ 30" ... mmmmmmm.....

i got the bark of the LOG that dvs sent me. couple borer trails , and got one corner down with my hunting knife and scraper , just to see what yeller wood looked like. i liken it to seeing a flake of gold in a pan. my heart started racing.

looking around for a draw knife , in case i dont get the one im looking at... theres no other way im going to be able to work on this. a sureform didnt work , and a rasp just sounds like blasphemy...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I know what you mean Roy, I had my trade bow tillered out to 28", 49#  put some deer antler tip overlays on , put it back an tillering tree, to check everything, and "BAM" one limb went South , the other  North, still looking for the Riser. So its back to work on another.
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Hova,
 If I had an extra drawknife to send to you I would have. It must be torture having that log stare at you.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Tradbower:  Do you mind taking pictures of the blowup?  I seem to learn from others "opportunities for experience"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©