Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 50963 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
AKmud, I've seen bend thru the handle tiller but never seen all the bend in the handle before - nice one. You get the prize for finishing your trade bow first.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
In my head I'm on the 100th combination of riser woods already...decisions decisions......

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Here's a couple pics of a couple staves I have. I haven't made up my mind 100% as to my build. I may possibly do a BBO but I'm leaning towards a selfbow from one of these. I'll be getting started soon. This is gonna be fun again this year.

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
paul, those are some perty staves. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Those are some massive rings right there!
Johan I bet you have some native woods that we have never heard of.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
johan,some tamboti, if you can get it- if you want, i have some leads, wild olive is stunning, as well as red ivory.
in fact wild olive is probably the nicest.
regards
en groete
wayne

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Roy and Forest
62 here also   Here is a skit by Red it really hits home.
 http://media.causes.com/604250?p_id=42563578
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
That's a    BevelLok Bow Joint  Takedown System.

There use to be a couple tutes on their installation either here or on the ***********.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Got my name in the middle of doing a machine conversion to try to create a smaller vertical edge sander option that would be available to more folks.  Plan to finish that and then use it in the bow build.   I don't build quite the same way I did when I did the build along on my site a couple years back, so I'll be doing a fairly detailed build along.  It's already started with the machine conversion,  see "Dick's Bow Swap Build".   Hope to move it right along.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Yehaw,got my name and now to hone in on what to create    :bigsmyl:    juniper on the left, yew on the right and stuck in the middle again, may have to flip for it.    :archer2:  

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
I've got a few staves to work with and I think I have a winner.  Did some work on the bandsaw this morning.  Just a bit of heat and she'll be purdy. It's funny to still see snow on the ground and roof (here in Arkansas).

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Oh man! I am pretty excited! What to make... what to make...   I'm seeing some beautiful wood on here guys.  I'm love'n all of these gnarly staves here.  There sure is a lot of talent on this sight!
Javier

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Here's the start of my buildalong on my site.  I'll post all the pics and text here too so you don't have to leave TG.    2011 TradGang Bow Swap  

Limb 1:

Limb 2:

Some whoop-de-doo too.

And a cool knot.

Floor tillering and then long string tillering are next.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
I'll try to pics my stave this weekend and get started early next week. I dave 3 other bows going right now so keeping my mind seperated between them all is going to be the difficult part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Pat,,,only three?  You have much more self control then some of us.  :help:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Ok, plan is coming together....

Bow will be hickory backed cherry with zebra wood and maybe paduak in the grip.  I ordered two new bow form blueprints from Binghams and picked up a nice 6' 2x6 of cherry and a 5' 1x10 of zebra wood today (they are sure proud of that stuff!).  Once the prints get here I'll go to work on the form!  It will be good to spend more time in the shop for sure.

I also found out that my supplier has two staves coming up next week!  I think he said they were lemon wood (not 100%...).  I may have to go take a look and get away from the lumber for a change!   :thumbsup:

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Got my name! I need to get some heat in the garage so I can get started. I'm off this weekend so I should get somewhere. Atleast pick out a stave.  :jumper:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I just got back from a trip for work and got my name.  Now for some planning....

I'm envying you selfbow and wood builders right now that have materials just laying around waiting to become bows.  I need to place an order with kennym.

On another note - I posted on the old thread about the possibility of writing a magazine article to document this bow swap.  I checked with Terry Green to make sure this was OK with the TradGang Mods and he said to "let the ink flow", so I guess I'll move forward with it.  Obviously, it won't be completed for quite some time as the build and swap progresses.  I hope to have something composed by the end of the swap in July and in the meantime will likely be contacting some of you for pics and additional info.  This should be fun.

John
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
I roughed out one this evening, don't get your hopes up just yet it has several issues, it will be a interesting to see if it is a success or not.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Hey KerryB, you going to send me those billets in trade for those cane arrows I sent you last month? Art

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©