Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51231 times)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Greg, sorry to hear about the bubbles, like Ranger, I don't know much about glass bows, but I assume nothing can be salvaged to use in the next one?  I'm sure the next one will be just as nice, without the bubbles of course.  Good Luck!!!  Dan

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Pat,
The belts are 2" wide, marked for a delta 18-36.

Semo,
It might cause problems or it may not, I cant look inside the limb to see how many bubbles are there. A limb is under some serious stress and I'm not the type of guy that could shrug and say "oh well" if it smacks somebody in the head. Or worse yet, if it hits their kid or grandchild in the head.
Building another bow is cheap peace of mind, and Kelly is right I do enjoy building bows.
If you look close you can see multiple bubbles in the glue lines. I never had this problem with a 60 grit belt, so that is what I will stick with.

I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline K30bowfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Bummer Greg, that one is too pretty to leave standing in the corner.
It is better to be approximately right than exactly wrong.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: February 10, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Man what a bummer. After seeing that Wenge I went to the store and picked up a 1/4 in. piece for handle overlays, and a few pieces of zebrawood as well.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: February 10, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Lane,
Instead of standing it in the corner I was thinking of tying the tiller tree to the fence and seeing how far this bow will draw before it breaks. I've never had a longbow break so I dont really know where the limit is.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: February 10, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Send it to me Greg, I'll stest it for a while. Please don't break that thing. I think I'm in love.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: February 10, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
That would be a neat test Greg, but it seems a shame to destroy such a work of art.  It would still bring someone joy if for nothing more than a decoration in their den.

It's your choice, but I just find myself thinking PLEASE DON'T KILL THAT BEAUTIFUL BOW  :pray:
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: February 10, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Greg,
Are you using a rubber band or an air hose form?  I have used 40 grit on the lambs for my last half dozen bows and got clean, thin, lines everywhere.  Are they maple cores?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I'm yanking yer chain guys, there's a reason I've never broke a bow, I just cant do it.
Walt,
I use an air hose form and yes they are maple. I think the problem was that the belts are actually coarser than 36. I stopped at Binghams and compared laminations(Elmont uses 36 grit belts) and mine were much coarser. I mean by about double.
Anyway, I have always used 60 grit and been happy with it, so I will stick with it.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
sounds to me like you got 3.6 grit...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Send that bow to Kelly and let him break it in:)

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
Hova, I think your right. With some duct tape I think I could use them for tire chains.

Roy, The problem is I dont trust the bow.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Greg
 I think that was Roy's plan. Notice how he smiled when he said break her in. He knows I would have to shot it. Jokes on Roy I would use my full kit. ballistic helmet, eye pro, ballistic vest, and gloves. Plus I am a lefty. Thanks Roy you are a true pal, now circle me them bubbles . LOL
Happy Building and God Bless,
Kelly

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
thats a pic i want to see , a buy with a stick on the tree , with the flak jacket and brain bucket...

lol...i was out there yesterday scraping thhrough sapwood , and i dont know if inhaling the dust is bad , but my head feels like its going to 'splode todaY...

-hov

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
That dust ain't good for you Hova. Some guys here have developed allregic reactions to some bow woods. Ipe is a bad one and from what I have read yew ain't real good either. Them yeller boogers ain't real good either.

I recommend a dust mask at the very least.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I secretely poised that stave Hova. I didn't think you'd catch on this quick.  :biglaugh:  
Seriously though, like sticks said some people are allergic to it. Luckly I'm not. Suit up and wear a mask, it'll be worth it.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Osage dust makes me feel like I have a cold, yew dust makes me feel like I'm gonna die. Wear a dust mask whenever you sand. Scrapers and draw knives don't make dust - just shavings - much safer.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: February 11, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Sure is cool watching all these sticks gettin built.  I have a few days off coming next weekend and am looking forward to getting my buddies bow done so that I can focus on my BBI for the swap.  Lots of good ideas here have caused me to change my mind a dozen times about what I am gonna build....sigh
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I got to do a little work today in between repairing my clothes dryer and building my beehive.

It's roughed out, ready for a bit more drying upstairs in the heat, then to floor tillering.

Now I think I'll spend some time on that guitar in the background.  I've only been working on it for 5 yrs or so.    :help:

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
i have only been usin a hunting knife and a scraper. i rasped a couple times , and might have sanded once , but i think its just the dust in the garage. i only had yella boogers the one time i sanded , so i knew what was up , but i looked to se if theres oils or something in it that would make ya sick , and its basically only certain woods , and im not allergic to much if anything.

im headin out now to do a little more chasing. i really want to cut this monster in half , but im gonna be prudent and get iit down to a ring (3rd or 4th down from the back). theres a few checks in the one end , but i know there is at least one bow in this giant "stave"...

just a side note , if anyone ever wants to buy some osage , dvs sent what looks like it was a qaurter or fifth of a rather large osage. not much twist at all , and the rings are just beautiful.

i bet i can split the belly down and still have a nice snakey oswage stick for my youngin.

someone is gonna be happy...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©