Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51307 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #640 on: March 04, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
My stave is dry! I'll rough it out probably tonight and tomorrow. I am almost finished with my trade for PA. Hopefully I can finish both bows before OJAM so I can shoot them both.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #641 on: March 04, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
thanks semo, i can tell ya im feelin the pressure. i know there is time , but there is a quality standard to hold up to. i think between pat brennen, osagetree, and john scifres, these folks have set the benchmark. i hope i meet the standard. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Dang DVS what were all those bows you built over the winter for? You are a bow building machine!

If you ever have any rejects that don't quite live up to your standards, just send them my way. I'll make a nice place on my wall for them.  :saywhat:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #643 on: March 04, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
It might be sad that I'm more excited to see pictures of a bow I made in use by someone else than to get one in the mail?  

DVS: If you need someone to help "break in" a bow at OJAM I'll for sure offer my services    :readit:
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #644 on: March 04, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goose Gossett:
It might be sad that I'm more excited to see pictures of a bow I made in use by someone else than to get one in the mail?  

DVS: If you need someone to help "break in" a bow at OJAM I'll for sure offer my services     :readit:  
Goose that right there is the bow swap spirit my friend. It is nice getting a bow in the mail but seems a little less than expected when you get on the swap thread and you get a bigger smile than when you got your bow.

Don't get me wrong I love getting new bows but with the swap it's just the icing on the cake.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline KochNE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #645 on: March 04, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Holy Mess!  Went out & bought a vacuum today just because of this.  Too much dust & too many shavings to get by borrowing one anymore.  Flattening bamboo slats w/ hand tools is a pain.  Literally...3/4" splinter into the skin on top of my fingernail.  Anyhow...may send this BBB for the swap if it turns out.  May back some osage or ipe with bamboo if it doesn't.  Finishing up a boo-backed maple for my brother at the moment.

"As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another."  Proverbs 27:17

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #646 on: March 04, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Try a nice sharp block plane, sharp is the key.  I've done many that way in the past.  No splinters from those nice soft curls.

Bamboo quickly dulls a blade though.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #647 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
I use a little 4 inch craftsman jointer for my boo. Saves alot of time and not to many splinters.

A BBB sounds pretty cool hope it turns out and ends up here on my doorstep.  :bigsmyl:
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #648 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Wow, sure have missed allot from being away for a little while. Not sure where to start except to say those are some fine looking bows being built. Great spirit of "best efforts" by everyone.   :clapper:  I am back on the home front and will be getting back on my trade bow now that the sinew has had a good amount of dry time. It took a slight backset and the rooled tips still look fairly close on line up so now it's skins and tips and strat dailing in the tiller.  :pray:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #649 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:00 AM »
A couple of distant shots of my swap bow (don't want to give too much away yet...  :)   )  

Gluing up the zebra wood handle overlay tonight -

Here you can see the 1 3/4" reflex I glued in -

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #650 on: March 05, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Looks nice to me, well do.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #651 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Goose,I'll definitly have the pa bow trade bow there for you to shoot. Maybe even the tg bow, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. Then again... you never know. Alot can happen in two weeks.

Semo- Most bows I just give away or trade off. They make good donations for auctions to. I'll keep you in mind though. ;-)
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #652 on: March 05, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Picked up some of that drain pipe stuff today to ship the bow in--I finished up my bow today as well. I'm going to shoot it in today and tomorrow some more, and hope to ship it out on Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #653 on: March 05, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Well, back to the drawing board for try #3....   :(    

My tips both had a spontaneous disassembly today and broke off about 3" on each end.  I understand why it happened, but it would be hard to explain.  I saved the overlays and piked the bow then re-mounted the tips.  It is now down to 64".  

Started tillering basically from scratch and ran in to some issues (probably because I was so torqued off from the tips breaking...).  Needless to say, the bow came out light after all this and there is no way it will make weight.  Right now it is pretty well tillered to 35# @ 26".  I guess I'll have another bow to donate to the shop for the kids programs.  

Anyway, I think I am officially giving up on the hickory backed cherry combo for now.  The cherry I am working with is really light and feels dry.  It also isn't as hard as I would like.  I still have some great hickory backing strips so I need to come up with another belly wood.  Maybe Jatoba....(I managed a 70# bow from that combo last year...).  

Any ideas/suggestions?

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #654 on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
John just let me know when it ships

AKmud I think you just like making kid bows.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #655 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Well I finally got my picture issues figured out.

here's a few of my swap bow.

One on left is my swap bow, One on right is a yew bow I got going.

Roughed stave

A few of her on the caul. This baby needed alot of heatin to give her some direction

TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #656 on: March 06, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I'll get some more pics now that I got my issues fixed LOL

Stiks
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #657 on: March 06, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Looks like a fun stave, Kris.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #658 on: March 06, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
You know it is Pat. I started out bow making with the nasty ones and those are still the ones I love.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #659 on: March 06, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
kris,
the sticks under it is that to keep the knots from twisting the limb by raising it, or is to just give you little more height to bend with?
thanks,
Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©