Author Topic: a bow for bernie  (Read 3514 times)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
a bow for bernie
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
during my visit with bernie earlier this week, when we test drove the 2 piece selfbow i just made. bernie happened to show me a stave he had bought at atar in "09". this stave was bought virtually at the same time don had purchased a stave for me that became said 2 peice. well, on the ride home from bernie's i had time to think about those wonderful art b. rivercane arrows. and bernies stave. when i got home  i called bernie and offered a trade, some home made rivercane arrows from him for my bow. and i would build him a bow from the stave he showed me. well here ya go bernie . these are pics of bernie's stave in the vice when i got it home. these next pics im using the drawknife to hog off th sapwood. . im down to the first good growth ring under the sapwood got to finish the early wood between the sapwood to see what i have. i also think i may be dealing with a worm hole where the edge of a limb is going to be i'll have more pics tomorrow. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a bow for bernie
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
MAN LOOKS LIKE YA GOT PLENTY WOOD TO WORK WITH I SEE 2 BOW S IN IT MAKE A BELLY SPIT GET 2  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
looks good bud! that stave is huge!!!

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
i understand where your comin from brock. i will show you with a tape tomorrow the dimensoins of this stave. i dont think there is enough to make a good enough belly split from to make a good bow. it is a deep and narrow split. but i do see a good bow in this stave for sure. ruddy

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
That's one nice piece of wood you have there Ruddy! How wide is it mid-width? An 1" to 1 1/8" will make a bow in Bernie's weight range.....Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics and thread to follow your progress, Ruddy, Starting right off with the stave itself.

I've discussed a two bow belly split from this stave with a number of folks, including Ruddy. I do think perhaps it's appearance could be a little misleading (except that those who have many bow builds under their belt would probably easily get two out of it, one way or another, even if one was a kids bow only). In any case when I agreed to let Ruddy have his hand/head with this stave/bow, I told my friend a couple of things to bear in mind - One, the most important thing is the first (top) bow, and for him to have fun and learn with it (as he did with his 2piece), and Two, that I also see a good bow in this stave (and Ive looked at it often and long - LOL) but that I do know "stuff" happens from time to time, and things sometimes don't work out - should that occur in this case - for any reason - then ... "Stuff Happens!" Then we will simply revert to that part of #1 that says  "have fun and learn with it".

In other words, have at it , with my blessings, Ruddy, as if it is your own project. I will watch with interest and enjoyment, as I do any good bow building thread (and yes, surly with the extra anticipation of , as you named it, "A Bow For Bernie" perhaps being the end result)     :thumbsup:    

The start looks good, sorry about the worm holes - let the learning begin - LOL
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Hey Bernie, everyone knows that two bows are better than one  :readit:   :bigsmyl:  But one is nice also   ;)  ............Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
LOL - I heard that, Art, old friend. I'd be surprised if you wouldn't get 2 adult, and 1 kid bow out of it - LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
and three oompah loompah bows...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
sounds good  brenie  how bad are them holes i didnt even notice em  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I've never seen them. Ruddy told me about them on the phone today after he got started. They could have been there when I bought it or got there later. However, I sprayed it a number of times while it hung on my porch aging, and neither of us saw any holes in the bark when we looked it over, earlier this week, for the such. Ruddy said he'll give us more pics in the AM. He also said a couple of the holes will be outside of the tips at the ends so only one is of any concern at all and it may not turn out to be deep enough to even require dealing with. keeping the fingers crossed.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Ruddy,
Hope you have as much fun on this one as you did the first. Heck once you get bernie's bow out of it you may be able to quarter saw the wedge and get a nice osage board out of it. Just a thought.
Good luck, God Bless and happy building,
Kelly

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
i got a lot of work done yesterday. got all the sapwood off and to the first available ring it also reveilthis crack but its so small i cant even get my fingernail in it so we will see how it goes. im going to try placing the handle section of the bow at this spot. its a non bending handle section. sorry for the small amount of pics. i ran out of batteries for my camera. more later. ruddy

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
forgot to post the pic of the longitudal crack. ruddy

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Man, that is a meaty stave. I'll be following along with this one.

Ruddy, maybe I'll give you a call this evening if I don't wear myself out today. Surgery really messed with me this time around,,, I aint been right since!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
cool i look foward to it. you have help comin so put the fella to work. dont wear yourself out now. i know what ya mean about not feelin right when ya get a peg pulled or 2. ruddy

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Nice work Ruddy, I'm gonna try to keep up with this build along. Trying my hand at laminated longbow now then I would like to try this. Taking it all in is the step I'm at right now for self-bows.

Osagetree, I had a wisdom tooth pulled 10 days ago and I'm holding the side of my head as I type-Dry Socket has me down! Worst pain I've ever had I believe! Good luck

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I was lucky in a way. My father and I had terrible teeth (Ma,sis, and Bro had great ones). I had a ton of work done throughout my lifetime - only have two real ones in my headbone - and that's two more than Pop had. However, I do not recall ever having any trouble or even mentions of wisdom teeth problems, as so many do. Heck, maybe I just never even had any wisdom     :eek:  

Backs looking good so far, Ruddy - who would have thought worm holes and splits in that pretty stave, huh? Ya never know what's under the bark I guess. Perhaps you are getting all of it out of the way early on, buddy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Whats sad Bernie is I didn't have typical wisdom teeth probs, it just broke and I didn't want to pay for a root canal and crown. This was a simple pull since it was thru and not buried--oh well thats life right!
I hope Ruddy is working on the bow now, snapping pics as he goes!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
LOL - Knowing him, he probably is.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©