Author Topic: a bow for bernie  (Read 3536 times)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a bow for bernie
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
well its been a while since ive posted on this thread, due to various other projects work and such.got bernies stave past the floor tiller and long string stages. its is now on the short string and braced to 3 1/2". and have it drawn to 14" on the tree. so without further a due here are some pics. bow layout. and the pics of both limbs
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
a pic of the bow strung on the bench vice and a pic of the string alignment. a pic of the bow on my relocated tiller tree and a pic of the bow drawn to 14" . earlier this yr i had to relocate my tree. the ladies of the house requested more space to store dry goods, i got out voted 3-1. i griped every step of the way, but they are happy so oh well

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
im gettin ready to throw some heat to the bow and bend some tips to shape into a recurve . i talked to mr pat on the phone briefly last night and told him where im at on this projectand he thought i was ready to get to bending some wood. what do y'all think. ruddy

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
That's a good looking piece of Osage to recurve Ruddy. That's what's needed for these curves. With those tips already reduced, you want to have the ends nice and straight before bending. Just me, but I would steam the tips and bend, and after that heat treat to help hold the bends.

Great thing about recurves, it'll teach you the fine art of how to finesse the string alignment. Have fun........Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Looking Good, Ruddy - I'm watching with bated breath.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
i took another bow stave that has  some issues and used it to do some practice bends on the recurve form that i had built. every attempt that i had made thus far has ended in disaster. im wondering what i have done wrongi have not made any attempt to bend any recurved tips on bernies stave yet. i need some help. ruddy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Lots of heat Rudy. I steam my 3/4" thick x 1" wide tips for at least one hour with a steep boil and lots of steam. I have never had one splinter or break.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Are you using steam or dry heat Ruddy?

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
every one has told me dry wood=dry heat. admitingly, i used a steve that had issues at mid limb. its got nothing to do with bending recurve tips. take a look at my recurve form in the above pic.is the shape wrong? i tried my best to copy mr pats recurve form for the elm build he did in the resent bowswap he did. i used olive oil and a heat gun for dry wood. granted the practice stave i used was already introduced to a reflex caul . was this stave already to dry to cause failure? also i think i was smart enough to have a previous failure to practice on before the real thing. was it my application of heat / was it my practice stave being thinner than the stave im working with now. i do have an alteritave direction to go as making a longbow. but i have a higher goal.???????? ruddy

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I used dry heat to bend my tips. A lot of heat. They did splinter out a bit on the belly, but I left enough "meat" to compensate.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Doesn't look like that dry wood=dry heat is working all that well for you Ruddy. Practice with using steam and see if that works better for. You got to know the wood's limits when using dry heat. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that practice for those just starting out.

Some wood is just not meant for bending. Like previously heat treated wood, or exceptionally aged wood. Stump end of the stave can give you trouble because of it's more rigid properties.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
When Ruddy told me he was breaking the osage using dry heat(with oil) I told him to shellac the tips first then try steam or boiling...or a glued up, kerfed recurve like 4est Trecker has posted.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
I hate that my bud is having such a hard time with this, as I truly know just how badly he wants this to work out for me. I just want everyone to know that I've told Ruddy that there is absolutely no pressure from me on type, time, or even successful completion. We talked a long while yesterday and I told him I have virtually zero experience in bending and/or none at all in making recurves. I told him to talk to whoever can put him in his comfort zone and/or try whatever works for him. I do know this much, I have a good friend who is truly trying his darnedest to make a high quality primitive bow for me, just because he wants to do it - and that is nothing to be sneezed at, as we all know and, I'm sure, can agree on.

We are all behind you, Ruddy but, for heaven's sake, have fun with this bow, and don't beat yourself to death over it no matter what the choices, or outcome, turns out to be. That having been said, we do all love watching the process, and endeavor, with great interest, and we all can appreciate your dedication to a chosen project.

Go to it with a happy heart and a light conscience, my friend, and "talk to the wood gently" as you go.    :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Steam the curves in and let them sit for a day. Before you unclamp them hit them with dry heat to keep them in place. It will work Rudy. Steamed wood bends pretty easily and all you need is a pot of water a 12 x 12 square of tinfoil for a hood.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
im gettin ready to try it pat and pd. im got one more limb to play with on my practice stave before i try it on the real thing. i still have the alternate, which is to make a longbow, but im still pushing for a recurve. its hard to accept no for an answer from a piece of wood and much harder  from myself. rv

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Good attitude Rudy! Get after that stave and show it who is boss!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
A recurve adds several layers of difficulty. First is bending. For a steep curve like your form I would boil, yes BOIL, the tip for a min of 1/2 hour. I have done it with dry heat but you need to feel when the wood gives and will allow the bend.

You will likely have tear out on the belly side - I always do - even with the metal backing. You must have enough wood thickness before bending to loose this 1/8"+ of material that will tear.

Next added difficulty is tip alignment but this can usually be fixed with some heat after bending. And finally, you are gaining string angle improvement but loosing limb length - a trade off.

Recurves look cool, may add some speed and string angle improvement on short bows but at the cost of stability and ease of bracing. One of my very first bows I recurved just because it was a challenge. Have done few since.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Have you thought about just flipping the tips instead of recurving? Much easier to do with dry heat and you still get a nice mild recurve look...Art

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
im feeling like my practice stave was plagued with too many problems to bend correctly , even with steam.im feeling beaten by my own work. im walking away for a couple of days. im thinking to choose the safe route and make bernie a reflexed longbow. i know what the end result will be. trying to avoid crushing my head in my benchvice . aaaarrrrrrrgggggg.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
there is only one other thing , or should i say person that can frustrate me like this task, thats my wife. sorry to vent but i want to make a recurve so bad i can taste it. im gonna take a new look at my form and have been consulting a book i have about making a proper elipse. i spent the rest of the day doing research on the subject. been rethinking my form. i have other material on hand to make another form . im gonna take another look at mr pats form . i would love to take a look at othr tg'ers recurve forms as well. the beginnings of my nemisis.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©