Author Topic: a bow for bernie  (Read 3515 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a bow for bernie
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Ruddy,
Post pics of your latest attempts so the folk here can see what you have done. You know they my see what this issue is. Remember also most say listen to the wood. That one piece just did not want to be a re-curved stick.

Good luck,
Kelly

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
now that has something i have not seen yet. what is the actuall diameter. was that a wieder weight? the curve is definitely softer than the curve i was trying to make. i dont have stuff like that layin around all the weights that i have ever lifted were 2x heavey and 4x wides.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
That's cool VB, I've been over thinking the tip flip form too I guess? Who knew it was as simple as a plain ol circle?  :knothead:  

I'm gonna have to use that next time I want to do some creative tip flippin' thanks for the pics and advice.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Good "showing & tell", vanillabear?, and very pretty profile on that little bow too. Unique way of clamping with the holes in the form also (to me anyway). Verrrrry Interrrrresting!   :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Cool caul, vanillabear. Nice bow also.

Rudy, bow's looking great. Can't wait to see the finished product.    :archer2:

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
an update, ive been working like a mad man on this  for the past 2 days. still trying to get even tiller befor hitting the reflex form and have been working on a new recurve form. her is the bow at rest here is a pic of the bow drawn to 20"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
sorry for the crooked pics trying to draw the bow and take a pic by yourself is not an easy task. im thinkin the limb on the left is still a little stiff. rv

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
It looks almost like a hinge on the right limb at that first panel on the byfold door. Could be an illusion though. Both limbs look a bit stiff at the fades and the outter 1/3 of each limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
thanks mr pat. so far its been a fight. ive been trying to maintain an eliptical profile on each limb, im learning alot and it has been frustrating trying to do my own work without depending on every bowyer here at tg as extra eyes.still working on forms and trying to deside when to hit the reflex form and the recurve form. ruddy

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
You're doing fine, and learning all the time, Ruddy. Can't beat that with a big stick (or a bow - LOL). Keep up the good work, when you can.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
thanks bernie , it means alot.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
My pleasure, buddy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Ruddy, have you read Howard Hill's book "Hunting the Hard Way". A very enlightening chapter on "types of bows" that he elaborates on. The recurve is one of 'em. Worth reading......Art

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
mr art i have not read that particular book, i would be interested in lookin at a copy one time. ive been working on bernies bow for the past couple of days. this morning i buils a new recurve form. i did some things a little different and used a larger diameter pattern. and i put a bend to make my first recurve tip. no practice stave this time, i was sure it was going to work. it probably took me about 40 minutes from start to finish. in that 40 min. after i had it completely bent and clamped i spent 10 of thos minutes just putting heat to it just to ensure that the heat fully penetrated. hopeefully we have a siccessful bend. rv

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Got my fingers crossed for you Ruddy! A lot of times on full length stave bows, that were cut close to the ground, you find the stump end a little harder to bend sometimes. Do you know which end you just bent?

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
yes i do, the bottom limb. its been showing stiff through most of the build in i beleive that would have been the bottom of the tree. i m gettin ready to bend the upper limb. now i have to ask as we all know the back of the bow is not always perfectly flat it has a slight convex to it. when you bend a bow's tips to make a recurve does it sometimes and up with  any flat spot, even though your form was made into a nice smooth radius. i made these curves with the intention that they are stiff, meaning they do not open up through the draw cycle static tips. rv

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Yeah, seems like I always get some flat places here or there Ruddy. Last bow I done neither curve looked the same either. Lower limb was cut close to a knot and didn't want to bend in that area. But that's just wood being wood. Lesson learned.......Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Mighty interesting to watch, Ruddy. Good luck from here on out.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©