Author Topic: why do you build bows?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why do you build bows?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Same reason my dog licks its own b***s. Because I CAN  :D

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
o.O
___
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
To me there is not a more satisfying feeling than the moment you get the tiller perfect on a bow you just finished and launch those first arrows from it. Every time I get to that point I cant help but hold the bow up and look at it and SMILE.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
I wanted a longbow, but couldn't afford one, so I thought, I'll just try to build one.  Now, I feel like I found the thing in my life that I was missing.  I love making bows.  It's all I think about, just ask my wife!  At least it's a healthy addiction.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
For most of the reasons mentioned.  I love history, especially Native American history. Also there is a connection with the animal being hunted.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
I like working with wood and being self sufficient There's some about the simplicity of trad/primitive archery just appeals to me.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by scrub-buster:
  It's all I think about, just ask my wife!  At least it's a healthy addiction.
dont ask my wife...that would be unhealthy...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline aric

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks you guys for sharing your reasons for building bows. I love building bows because it definately connects me with my roots in archery.After years of hunting and shooting with a compound bow i decided to get back into traditional archery. So i thought what better way to do that than to build my own bow. I am so glad i did. I am so addicted to building bows now,and have found my love for trad archery again.

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
The same reason I make wine,grow my own garden,can and preserve fish,meat vegatables,,its part of being self sufficiant.Its really very satisfing and relaxing.
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
The feeling you get when that arrow leaves the string on your first handmade bow.  thats why.  the motivation to start is different for everyone, but that feeling is the same.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I get a sense of satisfaction from creating things. I have always loved the natural beauty of wood and the smell of it when its cut. I just built my first bow last week and I know it will not be my last. I also love to hunt. I think I have finally found a hobby that truly fits me.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
one more reason.  Every new bow I build is better than the last one.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Heck if I know!   :wavey:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline SubXeroArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
family takes priority when it comes to money and there just isn't enough to go around these days...my longbow broke on me a few years ago and sparked my interest into building my own...i have only just begun my journey into building them but i am already thinking about the next one...and the next one...and the one after that  :D

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Same reason my dog licks its own b***s. Because I CAN    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  roflmao. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Well, when someone who LOVES building bows, is looking for an "Apprentice" and lives near SW Michigan...please drop me a PM.  

:)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Most of the reasons mentioned.  I've always built stuff, usually involving working wood.  I made muzzle loading rifles for quite awhile.  When I got into ventriloquism as part of my act, I started making my own characters.  That got way out of hand!  When I had to give up my last shop, I was one of the last five guys in the world still hand carving professional wood figures. (There's an art that's become obsolete!) Then I had a long period when I couldn't do anything... don't want to go there.   When I started to recover, I found I couldn't see well enough for open sight rifle shooting any more but I still wanted to be shooting something, so I went back to archery, which I'd done in my youth.  After a period of buying and collecting bows, I found wanted a duplicate of the first bow I had, but with glass.  I found no one really did a good job of duplicating it.  I also needed a very light bow that I could shoot with strength limitations, so I decided to try to make it myself.  I equipped a new shop and had at it. That was more than 30 bows ago and I can't seem to stop.  I'm coming up on 73 years old, and building keeps me active in my new shop.  As someone else mentioned, the bows keep getting better.  I took my latest out for its second 3D today, and it just knocked my socks off.  Hope to build many more and keep improving.  I'm also teaching a few folks to build and getting a lot of satisfaction out of that.  All in all, I haven't found any down side except the cost of glass, wood and glue but I'm blessed with a small income from another hobby that lets me hold my own, so no reason to stop...
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I have always enjoyed working with my hands, art, taxidermy, wood working,etc and this is another example. As much as I love to shoot a bow, I think I actually enjoy buidling bows better. It is something about taking raw materials and making something beautiful out of it. I also love to see a bow I have built in the hands of another person. My wife thinks I am obssessed with archery.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
A long history of woodworking. A long love for archery hunting. It is something about having to get that close to your game. And with the first two sentences said, I have wanted to make my own bow to hunt with for years.
Hopefully this will become reality this year. I share the thoughts and reasons of many on here, but I cannot find all the words to describe it. It is something that you must experience, to truly understand why.
So, raed on, especially the 4est Trekker " So you want to build a bow" build along, get the right board and tools, or borrow them, and enjoy the journey. Then you will know why we enjoy this mystical journey of traditional bow making.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
IV ALWAYS LOVED BULDING THINGS  IM A MILLWITGHT  MATSER CRAFTSMAN BY TRADE  YEARS AGO WANTED A COUSTOM COULODNT AFFORD ONE  SO MADE MY OWN NOW IM HOOKED  BEEN AT IT 28 YEARS  NOW AND I WONT STOP TILL IM IN MY GRAVE  AND IM TAKEIN MY YEW LONG BOWAND MY SNAKE OSAGE  WITH ME  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©