Author Topic: When to back your bow  (Read 322 times)

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
When to back your bow
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Just wondering when your supposed to put backings on your bow. should you tiller it first or just to a floor tiller? i did a red oak board bow and backed it very last, it worked but i'm just not sure if thats the proper procedure.
Nathan

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to back your bow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Some folks say once you floor tiller and some say after the long string. I guess its up to you? One of the guru's will chime in so just stand by.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
If you are backing for protection(rawhide or cloth) do it right away. Less chance of lifting a splinter while you tiller. For performance backings like sinew, wood or boo I like to pretiller the belly so it has a nice even bend to it for glue up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Just use a temporay backing with nylon strapping tape. Apply once you have your bow to floor tiller, finish your bow out to your draw length, shoot it in, then remove the tape and apply your permanent backing. If you want a durable, no frills backing just leave it on. Probably the best backing few have heard of. One layer is all you need. But more layers will cost you bow weight if removed later. I've noticed as much as 5# loss after using and then removing three layers.........Art

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I almost always grudgingly back after long string tillering. Beore the first stringing with the short string.  Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©