Author Topic: laminating epoxy  (Read 527 times)

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
laminating epoxy
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Was in Lowes store the other day getting lumber for my bow form and walked by the wood glues and they had squeeze bottles of two part laminating epoxy.  Would this work for a laminated bow??  Has anybody ever tried using it.  Just a curious question

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: laminating epoxy
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Interesting? Never seen anything like that. For the bows I play around with TBIII is king and used for every joint I glue. Let us know what you find out about the epoxy, a "filler" glue could get me to switch.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
was he brand "bruce" the one you saw?

usually laminate glue is for flooring. lot of them are pva based and only for indoors. ill see if i can find some info , but the brand you saw would help.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
They make some to mix and pour for table tops.  Not sure how it would work on a bow.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Alright  I went ahead and bought it today cause its was only thirteen dollars.  I'll give the info....Its Locktite brand.  Its two four ounce bottles.  One resin and one hardener.  Its a 60 minute epoxy.  Its rated for 3000 psi.  Says it bonds wood, metel, stone, brick, ceramic, glass, most plastics, and tile.  Well the directions read just like any other epoxy but the last line.  "Not suitable for polyethylene, polypropylene, flexible materials or prolonged immersion in water".  That flexible materials part has got my eyebrows raised a little.  Does that mean cloth materials or like flexible wood laminates.  hum

Pearl Drums-Ive got a lam going and its 2 lams of hickory with a maple in the middle and a boo backing.  Would TBIII work for it??  I used it to glue the handle together and its like a rock.  All everybody on this sites swear by Smooth On epoxy so I was kind of hesitant to do the limbs with TBIII.

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Let us know how it works out for you.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
ill check it out later and let you know what i come up with. you can usually find out what its made from , by the msds and go from there

-hov

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
How is this glue for flexable glue joints and shear strength. Doesn't sound like it was developed for such applications. Do good tests before you waste your time and materials building a laminated bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Furtaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I have the same stuff you are talking about.
I've used it on tip overlayes with BAD results.Usualy the tips poped off after I put the string on .I wouldn't recomend it on anything that you want to hold together.

Just my 2 cents.
  Frank

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
"Not suitable for flexible materials"

Just a question: but why are you wasting your time and energy,and trying to reinvent the wheel, why not go with the "proven" products.
Not trying to knock what your doing but it seems to me you already wasted $13.00.
Just my $0.02
Bert.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
i dont know , heres a couple things i came across...

this is the only loctite 2 part that i could find with google..  

this guy used it (if its the same you have) for a longboard , and judging prom his posts , he cheaped out and payed for it.

like pat said , try it on some scraps in case its garbage. i would get yourself a couple shims or paint stirrers , glue them together , shape into a bit of a profile , thhen try bending it. also try peeling it apart , and twisting the pieces apart.

at the very least im sure it will work for tip overlays and things like that , but at 13$ , you could have gotten the big tb3 , or even urac.

good luck , make sure to keep us updated. new glues are always fun.

-hov

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
1/2 the cost of smooth-on
Mike

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
I didn't have much luck with loctite epoxy. Never seemed to get really hard and I was afraid to build a bow with it. Used it on some points and it held so go figure.............

Smooth-on for bows

James.............
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
didnt realize there were people posted before me..doesnt look like it worked for tip overlays. if you havent opened it , i'd take it back and get some tb3. i havent seen urac locally , so im limited to what i can find locally...

-hov

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everybody.  Thats what I wanted to hear, something from somebody that had tried it before.  I didn't even try it on anything so no worries on the failure thing.  Thanks for all the help

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everybody.  Thats what I wanted to hear, something from somebody that had tried it before.  I didn't even try it on anything so no worries on the failure thing.  Thanks for all the help

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
its all good. we all have impulse buys that ended up being better left for someone else.

-hov

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I use epoxy all the time for things other than bow making so its not big deal to me.  I'd rather not have a newly glued bow break and slap me in the forehead. haha I'm just a beginner and there is a lot of people on here that have been making bows for a long time and they know there stuff.  I was taught from a young age if you want to know something just ask.  So its always better to ask.  Theres no teacher like good ol experience and the bow makers on here definately have the experience.  Thanks again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©