Author Topic: Has any one ever thought of teaching a bow building class.  (Read 912 times)

Offline aric

• Trad Bowhunter
Has any one ever thought of teaching a bow building class.
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
just wondering if anyone has ever thought of teaching a bow building class. It would be great for begining bowyers.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has any one ever thought of teaching a bow building class.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
there are a couple out there, but expensive.   I teach one on one from time to time.   I'm trying to get organized to do a dvd.   If you can spend the time, there is a university's worth of material in various build alongs on this and other sites.   If you want to start right at the beginning, you can try my site.  I've tried to cover the basics.  Others are more advanced.  Dig around, you'll be amazed at what you find
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
I have taught several at Woodcraft stores for bamboo backed bows.  Tough to do, I would not have more than 4 students for a 2 day class with the blanks already glued up by me.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
SAME HERE I TEACH WOOD CRAFT  S CALSSES  PISSES ME OFF THEY CHG 250 BUCKS PLUS THEY HAVE TO BUY METRIALS TOOLS FROM THEM IM LUCKY TO GET 3  - 4  OUT OF 200 WHO WANT TO DO IT  LAST 3 CLASSES HAVE BEEN CANCLED CUZ NOT ENOUGH SIGN UPS  I KNOW MOST GUYS CANNOT AFFORD IT EITHER  ESPICALLY IN THIS DAY AND TIME  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
Aric,
Heck just look as this site your online classes as Dick has stated. Pic a type of bow Glass, lam or self then pick your bowery here who makes the style you are looking for. Then follow one of their builds. Hit a snag post it here, pm the builder or both.
Kelly

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
right on kellyg. i go to school evertime i come to the bowyers bench. lots of good stuff to get into with what ever style bow you choose to build. then add in the factor that some of the bowyers here are pretty innovative too. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Trad shoots sometime have bow building classes  (usually as part of the entry fee but sometimes there is a charge) See Trad Events Forum. The Shoot in Baltimore sometimes has classes put on by a primitive club from that area (who also puts on classes/workshops of their own throughout the year). The TN Classic will start you out and send you away with a bow also. ATAR often has a Osage Bow Build class by Alton Weeks (where he goes from a stave to a bow in three relatively short classes) that you can pick up a lot of info at. I Also recall MOJAM touted as a great learning experience. Probably many others that I am not aware of or am forgetting (I do that a lot - LOL). AS Dick said, scratch around some - put a search in on the internet (in general - any search engine) such as "bow building", etc. and you'll be surprised what you find.

Your   very best  , most inexpensive, handy reference material/source, bar none, is right here where you are at. You can start your own "build-a-long" here, with virtually nothing but the desire, and very knowledgeable folks will talk you all the way through to a shooter bow - a step at a time. Someone is always handy and reading posts/answering questions at all hours of the days and nights, it seems - bless their hearts.

There are a couple other well known/respected sites, that can also be helpful for that kind of reference, that many of these same contributers frequent, along with other good bow building folks.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Gary Davis used to teach each winter in his garage, thats where I cut my teeth, he also would teach at the shows around the US. He now has retired and I believe John Cooper of Bronz Bows is taking over for the GLLI show this year.
He will also be a Kzoo with a booth.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
I hosted two bow bees at my house with a total of about a dozen folks in attendance. The attendees would watch me make bows all day long but I couldn't get them to touch a thing. Every person there would back off when I tried to get them to pick up a tool or piece of wood and say" I might mess something up" or " I just don't have the patience to shape a bow".

I abandoned the bow making classes idea and opted for single students, all for free of course.

What I found with single students is most will work on one bow but never make another after they leave my shop.

Before I invite a new student over now, I ask several questions; "Do you have any tools", "Do you have a place to work at home", "Have you collected any bow wood" and "Do you have any reference materials"?

If the answer is no to all of the above I know they don't have the drive to be a bow maker and aren't good student material.

The only way a person will ever be an accomplished bow maker is to jump in with both feet, collecting wood, tools and knowledge as well as be willing to accept the failures as part of the process.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I try to read as many posts as I can. Even if it sounds like a topic I'm already familiar with because you never know when you'll pick up something new. However, I would like to have a master look at some of my bows and give me advice sometime. It would also be cool to be working a bow with a expert handy for immediate go to and input without having to post pics and trying to explain. I have been to John Scifres house once cause he's not too far away and he gave me some advice. That was nice.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
"Do you have any tools",
Grizzly Bandsaw, 6" belt sander, cabinet scraper.  More welding and metal working tools than you can shake a stick at (used to be a custom car builder)

"Do you have a place to work at home"
My wife hasn't parked her car in the garage in 8 years.  She knew this when she married me, so I don't even feel sorry for her.

"Have you collected any bow wood"
Mostly purchased board wood at this point.  Ipe, hickory and bamboo.  My family comes from Illinois, I plan to harvest some Osage next time I'm up there.  We've identified 2 trees that we will take down, but I'm waiting until I get more experience before I tap into that resource.

"Do you have any reference materials"?
Mostly build-a-longs and info from Sam Harpers site and George's.  I haven't ordered any books yet, but have looked through the local library.

PLEASE keep me in mind next time you do this.  I would love to attend!!!  Trust me when I say I would not be afraid to dig in until I figure it out.  That's how I learned to build cars, and eventually got the skills down enough to cover some magazines.

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
I would think like Eric has done would be the best option. Have them come to your shop so you don't have to deal with someone like Woodcraft charging the students out of attendance. As far as if they will ever make another bow I would imagine its like with anything else, only those that are willing to put forth the extra effort are the ones that will continue. There are always those that will think its too much work. I used to own a Karate school when I was much younger and in alot better shape. I would go thru around 100 students to find 2 or 3 that would actually stick with it and be any good. Im sure its the same with this.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
First question is,Are you talking glass laminated bows or selfbows or wood composites?
The is/can be a big difference in what is needed to make each of these type bows.
I will be offering a few workshops this spring/summer for making/finishing wood bows. And I also intend to set up at a few shows to offer a place to work on woodbows,Much like Gary Davis had done for many years. Gary is also my selfbow making mentor for nearly 20yrs. I need to get a few things lined out and then I will have an anouncement of days/times. I was just offered a chance to do a class at a wonderful Northern Michigan Camp from a fellow tradganger so that should be an exciting time and place. Feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. Details to follow.Thanks.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
"The only way a person will ever be an accomplished bow maker is to jump in with both feet, collecting wood, tools and knowledge as well as be willing to accept the failures as part of the process."

You're right, Eric.   It's a matter of level of commitment.  When I started, I was aware of this, having gone through similar in other activities.  I sold my bow collection to finance completely outfitting a shop.  With that investment, no way was I going to fail!

I've offered at times that if someone was serious, serious enough to buy a ticket to Seattle, I'd pick them up at the airport, put them up at my house for a week and build a bow with them, trying to show them everything they'd need to know to go home and get started.  Haven't had a taker yet... even threw in that if they could schedule it right and spend two weeks in April I'd take 'em to the Moses Lake Rock Shoot with their new bow.     :)    

So far, the most serious student I've had is the local youngster I've been mentoring.  He comes once a week, but is really determined, and that's great.

I try to make the presentations on my site as "teachy" as I can, aiming them at newbies and including a lot of tool discussion as well as all my mistakes along with the triumphs.  As noted, there are lots of good building pages, and helpful folks who will answer questions.   I don't know of anyone who responds, "No, I don't want you to know what I know..."
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline sadiejane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
have a local guy who comes down to my studio about every wed nite and teaches folks who are interested how to make osage bows. the class is free(tho we have a jar out for donations for coffee, beer and electric bills, but it is not required to pay anything), and we usually have enough room and plenty of spare tools and benches(tho i hear there will be 4 or 5 newbies showing up tonite-will see how that goes). wayne does sell or barter osage staves and has plenty stored at the studio right now.  he comes from the stance that it is an ancient art that needs to continue and it is his responsibility to carry that on if he has the opportunity. i feel very very fortunate to have this man in my life.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I love Eric's qoute above that says:

"Before I invite a new student over now, I ask several questions; "Do you have any tools", "Do you have a place to work at home", "Have you collected any bow wood" and "Do you have any reference materials"?

If the answer is no to all of the above I know they don't have the drive to be a bow maker and aren't good student material.

The only way a person will ever be an accomplished bow maker is to jump in with both feet, collecting wood, tools and knowledge as well as be willing to accept the failures as part of the process.",

because the only reason I got hook into this was because I was looking at the local library for a book to help me be a better archery shooter.  Only things they had on the shelves were the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles and one other about how to make Indian bows.  Hoping there was something to glean in TBB 1 I took it home.  I stayed up late into the night reading it wondering why anyone would put so much effort into building a bow when they can just go buy one easier.  Jim Hamm's comment about the thought to just go deer hunting with a 30/06 seemed to make better sense caused me to shake my head in affirmative.  I really thought this was a big waste of time, yet, I could NOT put the book down.  I read, reread and reread that book and then went and did the same with the other 3 in the series.
Next thing I know this skeptic was collecting hand tools, wood staves and boards, setting up a specialized work bench to rasp limbs on, building sanders, tuning up the bandsaw, fixing a used table saw, sharpening the chainsaw, building shelves to hold the staves, routering forms and so forth.  Now I have reorganized my garage to have a whole bay dedicated for woodworking and bow making.  
I've not had the priviledge to sit in on a class but have had the luxury to open this forum up on a daily basis to learn from the finest!  You Gentlemen and Gentlewomen have been my teachers.  AND FOR THAT I THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Teachers are very special people, my hat is off to you guys

James..............
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I'm not sure if I would call what I do "classes" but I love to show what people have showed me.  I'm in the shop most Saturdays.  Stop by.  Southside of Indy  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Grown-ups are tough. Everyone wants to leave with a bow in hand and it's usually the only bow they'll ever make. One bow doesn't make you a bowyer. Teaching children, on the other hand, is so rewarding. I taught a few workshops for children and they were all memorable. With a bowyer friend, we teach groups up to twelve over two days. The children leave so enthusiastic (and they are so much better workers than adults   :p    )
Here's a bunch of pictures from a workshop we did a few years back.  Bow making workshop  I'll be happy to give pointers to whoever would like to do this.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Another thing, I don't accept strictly wheelie guys as students. I want my students to have some traditional archery experience so they will appreciate what they made.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©