Author Topic: Started first bow build! Final pictures of frist bow build, BOW COMPLETLY DONE!  (Read 3632 times)

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
Lookin real good.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
looks like to me you are doin a fine job. everything looks great so far. keep us posted. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looks good. Good stuff. Making bows is fun. Jawge

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking good.

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow, looks like it is really coming along. I've never built one of these, looks like some hard work. Look nice.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Savage, thanks, it sure seemed to me, before I got started with the help of longbowhuntr, that it would be to much for me.  Man let me tell you, it would have been except for the great advice and help.  It is not easy but it sure is something that just about anyone can do with direction and guidance.  This will not be my last one for sure.  I have found that it is addicting for sure.  When you see something come alive from a piece of wood it is special.  You must give it a try, I am sure someone on here is close enough that would be happy to teach you how.  I know that since I got on the site I have meet so many helpful people.  Right now I have along with longbowhuntr, 3 other members who wish to help me learn to do bows.  From stave bows to r/d longbows to recurves, all of them it seems.
I am going to do my best to learn all I can and teaching an old dog new tricks can be tough.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline greyhawk39

• Trad Bowhunter
Man thats alot of work,your doing a nice job.

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Got to do more work on the bow today. Shots of what I did.  Both limbs are at floor tiller now, the one I worked on today need a bit more.  I will work more on it tomorrow.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Lookin good

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
You have been busy.
The bow is looking good.
The next time you come over we'll see how far we can get it to bending.

Hey I like your vise bench. Sweet design. HaHa!That turned out nice. Good job sir!

Maybe we can get together soon. Talk to you later.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
1oldbowguy: That's great stuff!

Longbowhntr: I wish you would have got me hooked on making bows when you drove to Ozark years ago.  There are so many people with the bowyers wisdom that I never would have guessed.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
"bowyers wisdom"... funny Goose.

I may be alot of things but don't think that's one of them.
I've just always liked to whittle since I was a little kid, now instead of whittling the whole stick to shreds, I try to stop when it kinda looks something like a bow. Well sometimes it looks like a bow.

David

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Goose, don't let him kid you,   :thumbsup:    Not only that but he knows how to pass it along in a very easy to understand way.  This is a mark of a good mentor.  Knowledge and the ability to pass it on in a easy to understand format and not loose his cool with dunder heads like me.   :notworthy:    I feel blessed to know this man and call him a friend.   :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Did a little more work on the bow today, got the lower limb bending a bit more.  Have a couple questions about a pin know that I need worked on.  I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Worked on the bow more today and got both limbs working about the same.  We put it on the tree just to see how it was looking.  The bow was a little cockeyed but we could see it was working.   ;)  

Getting there, slow but sure.  More shots on next section    :pray:

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Few more shots.   ;)

Getting there!   :pray:

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
lookin good so far . ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks really nice, oldbow. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Stan

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Worked on the bow today with the help of longbowhuntr and got a lot done.  Started thinning out the limbs to get them bending more, scrape 10 here then 8 there, you know the drill.  Then we put some deflex in the last 8" or so.  The bow had some natural reflex so we just added some deflex in.

The last pictures are of longbowhuntr checking the measurements.
Going to let it set for 5 or so days to let it re-hydrate.  Then we will go from there and see just what it is going to pull and how even it looks.  Right now it seems to be real close on the limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
Any more progress???  I got one that is WAY behind yours but I like the Build, keep it coming!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©