Author Topic: My first selfbow, Red Oak Boardbow  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first selfbow, Red Oak Boardbow
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Tillering is complete!!!! Yay! She came out 45# at my 30" draw, just right.  Now time to shape handle / arrow rest and tips.

Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
There ya go buddy! Looks nice, nice tiller. Is that one limb twisted slighty, or is the camera angle fooling me? Either way it will be fine! Betcha' cant stop now...You already have another in mind dont you?

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
PD, thanks man it was a lot of fun and took a long time, power tools would be nice!  Yes, I do have a limb that is twisted for some reason, it did that about half way through and I don't know why...I will post some pics looking down the string and get some opinions on how to fix the twist.  
I would highly recommend the tiller gizmo for anybody that is tillering a bow for the first time, I owe this tiller job to the gizmo.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
that tiller looks very good...very smooth even bend all across.

Well done flyboy

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
The tiller looks right on to me. Well done!!!
  If the limb is twisting as you draw it is because one side of the limb is thicker than the other. Run the gizmo down both sides of that limb while it is drawn and see if that doesn't show you where it is stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
The tiller looks right on to me. Well done!!!
  If the limb is twisting as you draw it is because one side of the limb is thicker than the other. Run the gizmo down both sides of that limb while it is drawn and see if that doesn't show you where it is stiff.
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it feels good!

Pat:  Your exactly right, I started noticing it halfway through and I now realize it is because I was removing wood with it strung in my lap with a Sureform.  So just slowly remove that and it will be good to go? Will I loose a little in the poundage department?
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
looks good flyboy cant wait to see your next one

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
DANGIT!  Splinter came up on the first third of the bottom limb right on the edge of the outside of the limb...about 2" long and 1/8" wide.  You can see the linen bulged a little and on the side of the limb see a little crack.  I think it happened last night when I got a little zealous and pulled it to 30" a little too soon I heard a little sound.  I have shot a few arrows with her this morning and all seems well doesn't make any sounds and I think there is not much stress there?  Was thinking of maybe takings some super glue and injecting inside the little crack as best I can.  Going to reduce that bottom limb and get the twist out of it and they may also help with that crack...in fact now that I think about it that might have been what caused the crack.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
make sure to round all sharp edges

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Super glue under the splinter and a wrap over it...and round all corners and edges.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Super glue under the splinter and a wrap over it...and round all corners and edges.
Thanks Pat!  Sounds like a good plan.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Sad news guys....Sahra had a short life, but we shot a few arras together. She was born at 6:37 PM on Saturday and died at 1:00PM Monday.  

This is how it went down...I decided to shave some wood off the bottom limb on that one side of the limb to correct the twist.  After doing that I drew it back several times to take set and the draw wasn't as smooth as it was before, felt ugly. I put it on the tillering tree and drew it to 28" and noticed that the bottom limb that I shaved the wood off of was bending a good bit more than the top limb.  I knew at this point she was not going to be a 45# bow anymore and I was fine with that.  I went to use my tillering gizmo to mark the change I needed to make in my top limb and just as I put my hand on the riser and my arm through the draw POW!!! The string slapped the under side of my right forearm and has a whelp about an inch high, the string lay slack on the ground not attached to the bow and my top limb snapped approximately 8-10" from the tip.  The more I think about it, I don't think that the bow failed I think that the string slipped from the notch cut in the tiller tree...otherwise how else would the string have slapped my arm?  If the limb broke the string wouldn't go up toward the riser with that kinds force like it was being dry fired...it would have gone away from the riser??  Thoughts??
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Ironfist_Canada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Climb back on the bike.
If you are happy with your station in life , then you are as rich as any king. John

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I second Ironfist's plan. The only way to get over lost love is to rebound fast! Try again flyboy. Isnt this bow building stuff a hoot!

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I will have the house to myself this weekend and the first of the next week...gonna try to get me another one done pretty quick.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline howdydoit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2011, 03:36:00 AM »
sorry to hear about the loss. For a 1st bow it was really looking good and made me want to get my build started.

I think ill do a little more reading 1st tho.
'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' ~ G. K. Chesterton

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by howdydoit:
sorry to hear about the loss. For a 1st bow it was really looking good and made me want to get my build started.

I think ill do a little more reading 1st tho.
Go ahead and dive in, don't wait...I am glad I did it, I learned a whole lot and it wasn't the bow's fault, the string slipped from the notch in my tiller tree and dry fired. Next one I will do out of hickory...just didn't really like the red oak too much.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
its pretty amazing how little wood removal is needed at final tiller.  Try to fix it after tillering and it all goes out of whack.

Like Jawge says you ain't making if you ain't breakin.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Don't sweet man....I break way more then I finish. Just go out get a new board and get back at it.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
Jason, My dad is having three hickory trees cut down at his place in Benton in the next week or so and I told him to have the trunks cut into 6' pieces.  Should get several good staves out of the lot...you can have a few if you are interested.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©