Author Topic: Is phenolic necessary  (Read 462 times)

Offline rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
Is phenolic necessary
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Is phenolic needed for FF tips or will a couple pieces of wood do just fine. Thanks

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is phenolic necessary
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Lots of guys on here uses FF even on thier osage bows with no overlays.  I myself won't use it unless I have bone/horn overlays.  Or phenolic.

I might if I padded teh loops to 16 strand.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Its too late to put the phenolic on when the bow is broken. thats the best I can answer. Been there done that.

God bless you , Steve

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Could you use several layers of .050 glass (maybe 3) for limb tips if they were glued with the grain horizonal to the limb? I use B 50 on all my bows , this was just a thought, always got plenty of scrap glass.

James...............................
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I've made a lot less bows than many on here, but I feel that the shape is most important.  As long as the string loop is in a nice tear drop shape, you should be fine.  That is if you are useing at least a solid, dense, hardwood.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Alright thanks fellas, I guess its better safe than sorry.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I've put FF's on quite a few of my selfbow. Some thats had 10's of thousands of shots. I've even put them on white wood bows have never seen any real evadance of string where. Much less have one break. If you wanted to you could put  double serveing on your string.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I have always used it for the modern type strings, just seems risky not to use it.  I also agree with Apex about the shape of the nock having allot to do with how safe they are.  Had a guy show up at my place one time with a beautiful Groves t/d bow with the tips ripped off by fastfligt. What a terrible way for a wonderful bow to go, better safe than sorry.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
I think the way to build bow tips safe is to at least use 1/8" phenolic then you can use a 1/8" overlay of a good hardwood over that if you would like.Why take chances.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I always overbuild the tips. this one has 030 white glass, 1/8 black phenolic, 030 white glass, 022 Santos rosewood overlay. I filed and sanded down thru the santos and white glass so the string is on the phenolic. So far no problems, on other bows I have used 1/8 inch phenolic and dymondwood layers and had no problems (so far)  

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
If you're talking longbows with widths of 1/2" or less at the tips, I don't think phenolic is necessary.  I've got 2 fiberglass bows that are 4 and 7 years old that have FF strings that only use hardwood overlays (that have the string grooves rounded).

Phenolic may be necessary on recurves that have wide, thin limb tips if using FF or linen for that matter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©