Author Topic: One limb,too much reflex? FULL DRAW ADDED  (Read 1116 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
One limb,too much reflex? FULL DRAW ADDED
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I glued up a hickory backed red oak bow with some r/d. After I took the clamps off the limbs they were a perfect match. I glued my handle section in place and started some minor tillering. After a few scrapes here and there I lost almost an inch on one limb. Now I have an upper limb with a good 5/8" additional reflex. I have scraped that limb down to at least .050-.06 less than the other, it almost looks funny. I still cant get that extra reflex out. Any ideas?      

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: One limb,too much reflex? FULL DRAW ADDED
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Ya got pictures? If you are early in the tillering process, I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. How far have you pulled it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Roy I dont even have a short string on it yet. I can have my wife snap a pic while I hold it. Give me 15 minutes or so.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
its been an hour ! what the crap man!

just kidding , but im interested to see what ya got
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
OF COURSE you post em right as i post...lol... looks ok to me so far , but im not an r/d person so wait fo someone with experience.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Wifey snapped the photos on a slight angle, you can still see the right limb is higher. First pic is at rest, second pic has 20# or so pulling.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it yet, until you get further into the tillering because you may end up tillering some more out of it.
Also you could make the one with more reflex your positive limb.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
The positive limb thought crossed my mind. I wasnt sure if that was a cheating way to get a postive tiller, or an easy way? The right limb is noticeably thinner already.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Chris, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that bow so far. But the very first thing you need to do is throw away that long tillering string with the leather cups on the end. Burn it, or cut it into tiny pieces:) Then cut in your string grooves on the limb tips, and go with a real bow string in those string grooves. Make a string that is extra long and when you string that bow, you want the string to lay tight smack dab againist the belly of the bow.

Now for the profile of the bow, the top limb is now stronger than the bottom limb, according to your super long bad idea tillering string:) But the way it looks in your pictures, it needs work first, take wood off of it to get it bending more in the mid limb area. But after you go with a real bow string in the string grooves, I promise you, the profile will change. You have not lost reflex dude, it's just that the long tillering string isn't a good idea.

But here is a picture of what the bow needs according to the long string. However I would get a real string on her before you do anything. OH and 1 more thing Chris, when you first lay your bow in the tree cradle, you want it to lay level. So the belly side of the mid limbs are an equal distance above your pencil line you have there on your back ground. If they are not, sand your belly side of your handle till they are.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
I'd stay away from the inner limbs. They are already deflexed. The fade area has the most stress because of the leverage of the limbs so for now at least stay away from the inner limbs and get the rest of the limb bending to follow the deflex of the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
I made the string for it last night. The leather cup string is burned Roy, or will be. I generally use it for the inital bending, just to see how the limbs are doing before I start anything. Its level in the cradle and level to the lines, I should be good there. I will put my real string on it tonight and see what I see. Thanks a ton for the advice Roy and Pat, more pics to come!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Those reflex bows are tuff Chris. You need to get the reflex to bend out of the limbs first. Once they begin to bend, then tiller like any other bow. Just be careful of the fades like Pat said, stay away from them.  Use the tillering gizmo also.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Will do, I love that doctored pic you made, very helpful!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Pearl Drums,
I hear that Roy's second favorite thing is crayons and this way he can do both of this favorite activities. Color and Bows. Just funnin roy don't come all the way over here just to slap me. LOL
Kelly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I can tell you for sure he is a MUCH better bowyer that color'er! MY 4 year old nephew can color better! LOL!!!!!!!!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
OK Girls, it goes like this. I have this list here of those who are gonna get a good arse thumpen from an old man. Kelly your name is at the top, and Pearly Boy, yer number 2 son:)

LOL, but anyways Chris, them reflex wood bows are tuff. And you need to get the reflex bending out of the limbs first. Now that will not happen till you have the limb tips bending to about 8 or 9 inches. Pretty much where the bow will be at a brace height of about 6.5 inches. I don't remove too much wood from the bow till I get it bending to my brace height. Then I shorten the string and brace the bow at 6 to 6.5 inches. That's when I get serious. Then I work the bow on down the tree to one inch more of draw above my brace height, the whole way down to my final draw length. I pull the bow 30 times to each inch of draw, and lock it down at those draw lengths after 30 times, and run the gizmo down the limbs. Then I remove wood from where the gizmo makes the lines. Work slow and think about the whole process, and before ya know it Chris, you will have a nice bow. If it blows up, blame Kelly:)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Hey roy I truely like your drawnings, but if you have seen my pics and think I am a girl. I am not going to the gentlmens club with you!   :scared:  
I bet I can run faster scared than you can mad.   :knothead:  
Heck blame me then get back on the bow horse and start over by the time that one is finished you will forget whom to blame or be to tired to do anything about til you get some rest.   :jumper:  
Happy building gents,
Kelly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Roy I am right were the "get serious" part starts. I have about a 3-4" brace now and Im 50# @ 22" with that low brace. I want 58-60# @ 29.5. Once I get my tips working better I will take another pic and post it. As far as the butt kickin goes? Im waiting for Kelly to get back then we can gang up........and maybe win......? Thanks for the tips Roy!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
OUCH Chris, if your pulling it to 22 inches, get it at a 6.5 brace height now.  Once my limb tips are bending to 9 or 10 inches, " which is where they will be if braced at 6.5 inches ", I brace the bow at 6.5 and continue to tiller to my final draw length.

Kelly doesn't scare me, I've jumped over guys twice his size just to get to a good fight:) LOL, Howdy Kelly Ole Boy..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Done deal. It finished at 58# @ 29", perfect-o! I want 52-55# once its shot in and finish sanded. The bottom limb is still about a 1/2 behind my upper limb at brace, but once it get's to 18-20" of draw they even right out and look alright. Its my first r/d tiller job, not my last! I see my mid limb isnt bending nearly enough on either side, strange how easy it is to see on a pic, but hard when Im standing in front of it.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©