Author Topic: What type of dyes or stain are ok under glass with smooth-on?  (Read 480 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What type of dyes or stain are ok under glass with smooth-on?
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
Hello,

If you wanted to dye or stain action-boo that was going to be under clear glass that was glued on with smooth-on what type of dye or stain would you use?

I'm worried that whatever is used might cause the smooth-on to not adhere well.

I see limbs that have been stained somehow..I know it's possible, I just don't know if it's smart.

Thank you!
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of dyes or stain are ok under glass with smooth-on?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
Any stain except an oil stain will be fine once dry.  I would think even an oil stain once dry would work.  Water base and alcohol definetly will work.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I use water base analine from Bingham Projects, It doesn't fade and is well proven.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Don't use any oil based stains or dyes- water or alcohol based are what you want- analine dyes #1 but and even rit dye works.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Yep, water or alcohol.  I've used both with no problems.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
GREAT!!!

Thank you for the help!

I was hoping to be able to stain some actionboo to come close to matching a gray actionwood riser.

I have a little bit of Orasol Black CN that dissolves well in alcohol.
I tried a little on a 2x4 today and it seems about 3/8 tsp per 8oz methanol will get about the right color.

Thank you very much!
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Well, I sure hope you guys are talking about stains to use on the wood before lamination!  Just before this post appeared, I had gone ahead and used an oil based MinWax stain on my current project.   I don't think I have any trouble.  The bow was already laid up and finish sanded.   The riser came out light so I stained it darker, staining the limb edges at the same time.   Let it dry real well and then used MinWax Wipe On Poly, as they recommended.  Looks great after the first coat and I can't see the extremely thin oil based stain chemically interacting with already dry Smooth On and delaminating the bow....  I hope...   Of course, I was wrong once....
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Hey Dick,

Yeah, I was talking about staining before glue up.

I've done some post glue up staining with oil based minwax too. I didn't have any problems doing that either.
The riser is ash. Here it is in the white and finished. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped but at least it wasn't white anymore.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Some alcohol base analines fade in direct sunlight, water base is UV resistant. If you use water base dye make sure to let the lams dry for a day or two, or dry it in the oven for a couple hours.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©