Author Topic: Bow Finnish  (Read 375 times)

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Finnish
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
What's a good wipe-on finnish for a wood riser

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Finnish
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Tru Oil

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
both TruOil and MinWax Wipe On Poly are good.  Don't believe the two hour drying time, though...     :)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Tongue Oil is nice, ya wipe it on, wait 6 or 7 mins and wipe it off. No dust, no runs. Let it dry 24 hours and do it again. I do at least 4 or 5 coats. Then I wax it with furniture polish. However it is not 100% waterproof, but a slight drizzle won't hurt it.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
some exotics such as bocote are oily and from what i've read, won't dry or are difficult to dry using tru oil. hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong or list some other oily woods that won't dry with tru oil and other finishes.
          don

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Just recently I've used Boiled Linseed Oil on a bow and a muzzleloader stock.  It makes the wood look great but takes many coats to my satisfaction.  On the fiberglass limbs it was a royal pain.  Very tacky so I took steel wool (0000) to remove it from non wood areas.  After it dried on the bow it was steel wooled and covered it with Helsman Spar Urethane to better seal it and satin the finish.  I don't want a poly finish on the gunstock, though.
I am considering trying the Truoil on the next bow I finish.  Lots of folks on here have much good to say about it.  Hear it drys shiny and needs dulled down for a hunting bow.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Thunderbird sells a vinyl sealer that can be rubbed on and drys on oily woods.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
ChristopherO could you shoot me a PM about Linseed oil and how to use it. I have found some over here and will be using it I hope in a month or so.
thanks Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
+1 on Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil. Dries fast at 60 deg. and above, and looks awesome. Buff with 0000 steel wool in between coats, then buff after all coats have been applied to get the desired level of shine on the finish. Then spray and wipe down with Pledge furniture polish, exquisite!    :saywhat:      :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©