Author Topic: Proven bow wood combinations without using glass.  (Read 426 times)

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Proven bow wood combinations without using glass.
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Fellow Bowyers,

I am trying to create a listing / spreadsheet of proven bow wood combinations without the use of fiberglass, carbon or kevlar.  Wood combinations that have been proven to be durable, non self-defeating and fast.  You experienced bowyers already know what backing woods work best with what core woods and belly woods because some woods are better in compression etc..  Because I and others are far less experienced in what combinations work best, I was hoping that many of you would be willing to contribute to this project?  Maybe this could become a sticky once it has been completed.  I already have a spreadsheet started that has 3 catagories: Backing, Core and Belly.  Along side of each Backing wood it lists proven & suitable Core and Belly wood that work best with it.  

For example:  Bamboo backings have been proven to work well with bamboo cores and bellies.  But Bamboo backings have also been known to overpower certain cores and/or belly woods like Ash.  

Thanks in advance for your help in compiling this listing!

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Proven bow wood combinations without using glass.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I can’t remember offhand which volume, the Traditional Bowyers Bibles contain most, if not all the information you are looking for.  I believe it is volume 3 but it might be volume 4.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Bamboo and Hick backings works well on R/D bows with massaranduba and ipe bellys. Bows made of this configurations produce incredible arrow speeds.

greets
Herm
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
I can’t remember offhand which volume, the Traditional Bowyers Bibles contain most, if not all the information you are looking for.  I believe it is volume 3 but it might be volume 4.
Volume 4 chapter 2 is 42 pages of wood properties.
I don't think it has combinations, but it does give tension / compression information. Generally woods good in tension are best for backs and woods good in compression are good for bellies and cores.

CJ

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Much of what you're asking very much depends on the design of the bow.

There are no hard fast rules in wood bowmaking.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
sure thats true, but  one can make some very general observations, i know when i was starting out i would have loved a list like this- just a nice kick off point- while you are trying to learn so many other things.
hickory- really good backing-pretty reasonable belly, but not ideal.
tough forgiving of mistakes and bad tiller.
tough-ish to scrape and sand. susceptable to moisture
ipe- excellent belly-on a crowned belly, it needs perfect taper, otherwise it will chrysall. i make mine all flat bows. makes for very slim light bows- easy to carry all day.
ash - nice and easy to work with, takes a fair amount of set( very general observation!!)  
ok. to good as a backing.
osage- the best of everything- hard hitting and snappy- easy to work with- nice colour etc etc
i am sure many others will throw in their comments.
wayne

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
How about black locust back w/ osage belly, something I thought of- has anyone ever tried it?
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Sorry guys if I butted in, still like to know BL and osage would work together---- A good start is half done
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I've only worked with Osage and it's everything that Fujimo said that it is. The best of all worlds, but I've often wondered about pairing it up with something faster such as IPE?
Just to see what kind of monster I could create.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Mckenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I have worked with Ipe once.  It seemed very resinous - is it difficult to laminate with Smooth On epoxy or finish with products other than two part finishes?

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
Sorry guys if I butted in, still like to know BL and osage would work together---- A good start is half done
I think both make good belly wood, but not sure how you could make this combo as far as backing with either.  niether are intergrained like hickory/maple etc.  Their weakness tends to be the distinction between the early and late growth.

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
here's one that get forgotten.  qtr sawn ash backing on cherry.  light in the hand and fast as most bamboo/on anything.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I put cedar for bellies and oak for backs, sometimes with ash in the center. I also used walnut on bellies that was ok but on a back they broke. I have used osage on the back with cedar on the belly - very pretty bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©