Author Topic: Bow finishes  (Read 360 times)

Offline Mckenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow finishes
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I am about to finish a bow with clear glass and woods such as maple bubinga, bloodwood, and wenge.  I need some information on products and techniques to finish it.  In the past, I have used Minwax Wipe On Poly and have been very happy with the results on other woodworking projects (but none that bend/flex).  The ease of application of the wipe on poly cant be beat.  True Oil is an option but I have never used it.  On to my questions . . .

1.  What options do I have in relation to non-spray finishes to end up with a satin sheen?

2.  What options do I have in relation to spray finishes to end up with a satin sheen?  Krystal?

3.  Is there a grain filler / sanding sealer that is recommended for the above options?

I realize that this is a tough question to answer as there are entire books dedicated to the subject.  I'm just looking for options to produce a durable, easy to apply, satin finish.   Thanks in advance, MK

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow finishes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I fill with epoxy thinned with acetone. about three applications . Then I tru oil using a square of rolled up t shirt material. I sand between each coat with 400. When it looks like glass I either rub it lightly with Stock Sheen to a glass finish or spray a light coat of poly Matte over it. Its not easy and takes about 20 times as long as shooting with Krystal but its an awsome finish and the finish is in the wood. The grain really pops. God Bless and good luck , Steve
I generaly take a minimum of a week finishing a bow.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Mckenzie. check out sixbys bows. they are awesome. very beautiful woods in his risers and equally beautiful finishes.
                           don

Offline Mckenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Sixby has been kind enough to respond to an email regarding the specifics of how to use the epoxy sealer.  Checked out the website this morning and the bows do look amazing!  The woods are amazing and it is evident that a significant amount of time was spent building/designing the bows.  I am very fond of risers with curved or arched borders between woods.  My current (first) bow only has straight laminations in the riser and would like to learn to construct more complex versions.  mk

Offline Mckenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Sixby has been kind enough to respond to an email regarding the specifics of how to use the epoxy sealer.  Checked out the website this morning and the bows do look amazing!  The woods are amazing and it is evident that a significant amount of time was spent building/designing the bows.  I am very fond of risers with curved or arched borders between woods.  My current (first) bow only has straight laminations in the riser and would like to learn to construct more complex versions.  mk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©