Author Topic: shagbark hickory  (Read 363 times)

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
shagbark hickory
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I know that cutting trees in the winter makes it difficult to remove the bark- but what about shagbark hick? I got my eye on one and im tryin to hold out til april or so but that bark seems to just peel rite off. I dont NEED to cut it today but...the sooner its cut- the sooner its dry Any thoughts?
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shagbark hickory
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
whatever you decide, make sure to seal the ends right away. i have put a hickory stave in the shower and ran hot water to let it steam a while and the bark removal was easier.
                                don

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Cut it if you need it.  If you can wait, that's good too.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ryan Yoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
I've cut shagbark hickory in both summer and winter. In the summer the bark peeled off like nothing but in winter it stuck to the wood. Its not a big deal to debark if you don't mind the extra work and I've actually had very large pieces of bark pop off when I've gotten the blade between the wood and bark. If you cut it now you've got a few months of drying ahead of cutting it in the summer but also more work for debarking. Your choice.

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys- I usually just mess with boards but seeing some of these self bows on here has really got my blood pumpin about that tree!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I just cut some shag hickory a few weeks ago. I didn't find it too difficult getting the barks off. Mind you this was my first time working with staves, but I de-barked six staves in bout a half hour or so.

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
I'd wait until the buds just start to pop, only a couple more months   :bigsmyl:
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Yeah the bark is loose but the cambium is what will hold tight rite now.  Cut it if you can't wait.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
You can cut it now or wait until spring. As far as the wood goes it doesn't matter. You can remove the bark and most of the cambium now with a little work or you can wait until spring when the bark and cambium peel right off with very little effort and you will have a pristine back for your bow.
  Knowing the life cycle of plants and trees really helps when making wood bows. If I am cutting fresh bow wood I do it at what I consider the appropriate time. If I'm using precut wood, no matter when it was cut I make bows with that too.   It is your choice!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©