Author Topic: Which will be a better performer?  (Read 340 times)

Offline PapaB

• Trad Bowhunter
Which will be a better performer?
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
I am going to build a longbow with .003" of taper and 64" NTN with a 18" riser.  It will end up around 58#@27".  Of the two amounts of deflex and reflex listed below which one will make this bow perform the best (speed/hand shock)? Also without adding tip wedges or power lams.

1) 2" deflex and 4" reflex
2)1.5" deflex and 2.5" reflex

Thanks,
PapaB

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which will be a better performer?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
It isn't that simple. The one that will shoot the fastest is the one that stores the most energy and transfers it to the arrow. My longbow design uses 2" deflex and 4" reflex and I'm very happy with it, it also shoots best with .004 taper. If you're new at building bows I would recommend calling KennyM and ordering a template for his 64" longbow. It's a good performer and a solid design.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Not to forget that the faster bow isn't always a better shooter. The one with a little less reflex generally makes a bow that is a bit more forgiving when it comes to improper shooting form. The trick is  to find the bow that fits best your shooting style and abilities.

----------
Andy

Offline PapaB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Yeah, I will probably stick with the milder design first and then go from there.

Thanks for the input.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
PapaB........

I build both styles of bows and one thing I noticed is that the more radical design the bow, the higher the poundage with the same stack.

James..............
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©