Author Topic: Shop tool question ideas  (Read 853 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Shop tool question ideas
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I bought two grizzly tools at a great price but have yet to hook them up, now I am wondering if I should keep them or get smaller units. One is a 15" 3hp planner 220V and the other is a 2hp 8" jointer 220V. Both machines are in my garage and I would need to run a second pannel and 220 lines to use them which I havent yet and my shop is in my basement, it would be nice if they were down there but they are too big and heavy to get down there and they would take up too much room. So should I keep them in my garage and hook up 220 out there or sell them and get 110v machines that I could use down in the basement?
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shop tool question ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
depends on your electrical skills. i will work on automotive electrical with 40k volts , but i refuse to touch home electrical. every time i have , i have gotten shocked. once it threw me across the room , and the other was a 220  line that i got stuck to.

brain damage can result , so be careful when working with electricity.

like i said , i dont do a/c , so i buy what i have the lines for. i had one 220 tire machine , but i had a 220 line ran professionally. otherwise i buy 110.

thats just me , and those tools sound like they are well worth the cost of a new line and breaker box.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
IMO thats a tough one...they sound like great machines. I think I would keep them and run a new line. But I am job with electricity? So I guess it depends on your skills? And let you said they're taking up alot of room?

Tough one for sure.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
It's not if I can run the lines or not more of should I keep the big machines and have the 220 ran or opt for the 110 smaller machines. I have a buddy who is a electrisian and can run the lines for cost of materials.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I'd run the line since you will have it done properly and for the cost of materials-hey can I borrow your buddy? I'll throw in beer, pizza-lol

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
One of the greatest gifts my wife has ever given me was to have an electrician come in and re-wire my shop.   A house down the street had a fire due to bad wiring and really made us think.  I had way too many lines and too much stuff on given circuits.   I ended up with three separate circuits with two outlets per wall, master circuit breakers and individual safety ground trips on each outlet, plus all new overhead BRIGHT lighting... all done to code and city inspected.

I opted not to go for 220.  I have a shop full of Grizzly machines  A couple of them are big guys that come able to be wired either way.  I work in my shop a lot and build a lot of bows.  I know that 220 would be nice, and a bit cheaper, but I just don't think it's necessary for my level of work. Every now and then I forget and hook too much up to one outlet, making it trip.  I cuss, but you know what?  It feels good!  I know I'm covered.

So, my advice is, whichever way you decide to go voltage-wise, have it done.  The complete job cost the price of a couple of big tools, but I hope to work in that shop the rest of my life.  It's a heck of a lot nicer, and safer, place to work than it used to be.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Well if your anything like me, keep em.  I mostly build bows, but from time to time I like to (or am asked to) build other things.  And nothing frustrates me more than not having the tool for the job (or in this case, too small a tool for the job).  In my mind it would be well worth the electrical job in order to have the equipment.  Even if I don't need the full capacity, there may be a few projects down the line that I would.

On a side note, an 8" joiner would be amazing for truing up my boards before cutting them into laminations. and the planner with it.

my 2cents
Adam

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
well said dick and inuumarue.

if you like them , and have someone that can pro-wire , go like dick said and have a master box , and a box in your garage. along with gfci , and load breakers , you shouldnt run any risk. i put off buying a house because it had the old glass fuses and fabric wiring.

and inu has a good point , if you have the option available , you can make other things with those tools.

you could send em to me and ill send you the corresponding 110 versions...lol..

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
My $.02:  You have the tools now.  You got a great deal on 'em.  If you have room in the breaker box for another circuit, have the electrical run to the garage.  Either that or see if they can be rewired for 110.  I dunno if a 3hp beast would run on 110, though.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
John, No room in the box, I'll need a sub pannel.
I think I may have a line on one for free so I'll have to buy the wire, breakers and out lets.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Now your cooking! Get a sub in there and your set. Keep those power houses around. My tools are of quality, but small. More than once I wished my sander had more juice, same with my planer and band saw.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Putting in a sub panel is pretty easy especially if you have an electrician to do it.  You already have the tools.  I'd keep them.  I've never heard anybody say "I wish I had a smaller tool with less power" but the reverse I have heard several times.

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I say run the power! I do my own elec work but as many people that are out of work you may find an experienced handyman to give you a good deal
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
If you have a buddy that can do it for C.O.M's how can you go wrong. 220 is easy to run and less utility cost, esp. if you use them very much.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I was an electrician for 10 years before going back in the military. It seems like you have some really nice pieces of equipment. I believe I would keep them and just run a couple of new lines. You shouldn't have to install a new panel if you have at least 2 spaces left in your existing one.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
You shouldnt run GFI receptacles where you will be using a motor since they have a surge at startup or it may trip all the time. If you notice in garages they usually run all gfi except one which is where you hook up your deep freeze. Also your garbage disposal is the same. Just a tip.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I have a jointer and a table saw that came wired for 110 but with the option to run on 220.  I have them wired for 220 as this is better for the motors and it costs less to run them this way. Even if you got 110 versions of these tools, chances are they will still be too big and heavy to put in the basement and these tools produce a lot of dust.  Unless you have a real good dust collection system, it's best to run these tools outside of the home.  Run the electricity to the garage!

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Savage:
You shouldnt run GFI receptacles where you will be using a motor since they have a surge at startup or it may trip all the time. If you notice in garages they usually run all gfi except one which is where you hook up your deep freeze. Also your garbage disposal is the same. Just a tip.
Problem is....  Pretty much anywhere now, code requires GFI protection anywhere within 6' of earth ground (garage floor....)or water (utility sink).  If you mount your receptacles in the ceiling you may get away with it.  There are exemptions for dedicated circuits like a freezer. A large piece of non-portable equipment may fall in to this category.  Check your local building codes to make sure.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
I have the big grizzly tools in my shop, including a 3hp jointer and planer.  You'll be happy with the bigger machines if you do much with lumber of any size at all (boards wider than 6").  Having a 220 circuit will find you with other uses later too.  You can plug in a welder or other larger shop equipment some day.  

Note that I've found the big cast iron Grizzly stuff to be a good value.  But they require a bit more work to initially set up if you have high expectations for your results.  After the intial setup though, they're every bit as good as the more expensive stuff with only a couple exceptions that won't matter to 99% of users.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I would keep them if you have the room. I would also run a cord form the dryer. You will only be useing one at a time any way and the laundy can alway wait when there is a project to do.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©