Author Topic: Sinew application method  (Read 434 times)

Offline Axes bows n knives

• Trad Bowhunter
Sinew application method
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Hey guys I have seen 2 different ways to apply sinew. One is the traditional way I have read in the traditional bowyers bible where you apply it in small chunks and stack them like bricks on a wall. I have also seen some videos of eastern composite bow making where they soak it in water then take alot out and then soak it in hide glue and put it on a flat piece of wood and comb it back and fourth and side to side until it is like 1 flat strip of sinew and almost looks like a piece of rawhide. They then apply it by starting at one end and slightly overlaping it all the way down the length of the bow. In my opinion this looks like a simpler way to apply it but I dont imagine it would work with titebond 3 and thats what I have. Any opinions?

Offline KY59

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sinew application method
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
You will need to use hidegule.
Terry Blair

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Soaking is the only way to get it soft and pliable. That is why I like the sinew glue. It is the same protien base and so it is absorbed well. However Watered down TB will absorb and work as well. Instead of the comb method on wood I just Soak several bundles then when very soft (like wet hair) I hold between the thumb and forfinger and slide the other (thumb forfinger) down the length, This will ring off excess glue and straighten the fibers at the same time. If not completely straight and flat I will then dip and do this a few times till I'm satisfied. Much faster then combing.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I use the same method a Keenan, but use TBIII.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
You do need to use hide glue if you're using backstrap but other then that you can use the Tite-bond glue with the finer leg sinew. Backstrap is just too course and greasy to get a decent job with the TB glue. But after a first course of hide glued/sinew you can either top coat with TB glue or another course of leg sinew/TB glue. Just some options there......Art

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©