Author Topic: Juniper?  (Read 406 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
Juniper?
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I am looking around my property for local trees to harvest for making bows.  I ran into a couple small stand of what I have been taught are "Juniper."  I live in the southeastern edge of lower Michigan and after a quick "Wiki" search I ran across 2 types of Juniper that are in my local...I assume both would be acceptable sources for bow making but I'll gladly take any additional help in identification and thoughts on its application based on the identification.

Here are the two species with a couple pics:

Wiki
   Wiki  
(I believe it is this species)

Here are a handful of pics I snapped a short while ago...
   My Album  
Many thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lee Slikkers
[email protected]
616-318-7366
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Juniper?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
PatB could probably tell us. Mybe he'll chime in today?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I have seen lots of very nice Juniper veneers on glass bows, but have never seen a Juniper self bow, or lam'ed wood bow. Not saying its impossible, just never seen one. Find a nice straight hickory and you will have bow wood for life.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Juniper is best backed with sinew, yet self bows are possible with the right design. Shorter flat bows are your best bet with Juniper.
Here are a few pics of a Juniper self bow I made a few years ago.

As far as ERC I have not had much experience, but have heard that is needs to be backed.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Keenan,
Now that's a bow!
What works better, main trunks or branches?
As soon as the snow melts I'm going to cut some juniper and it seems that It's easier to find clean bow length branches. Also, all the juniper that I have cut here is mostly sapwood. A 12" diameter tree will have about 3" of heartwood, is this normal? It is also very thin ringed with about 50 rings per inch.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Keenan, what are the specs on that bow, NTN, width at fades, tips?  Where there a fair amount of knots or pins that you had to work around in that bow?  (it's a stunner btw)

I actually just got back inside from downing one of these ERC's, split on the bandsaw and sealed the ends.  It is one SEXY colored wood in the heart...I'll see how they dry and maybe I can work one of the staves before too long.

Many thanks,
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Lee that bow was about 58" NTN if I remember right and I do remember that it had 26 pin knots. It was around 1.5" wide at the fades.
 I think what you have there is ERC. not Juniper. Hope that helps
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
Actually, Eastern Red Cedar is a Juniper.  Barb (I forget her last name, but she hangs around with Ron Youngblood) made a beautiful English Longbow out of ERC at Gary Davis' place one winter.  I hear it really shines as a bow wood when paired with a sinew backing on a flatbow.

John

p.s.  I hope you get to use that tillering string soon!

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
That is one sweet looking bow there Lee, you did well sir.  I do love the color in the staves, should make one great looking bow.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Sorry but I didn't make that bow...I'd be amazed if my 1st dozen tries will even resemble one but I am looking forward to the learning curve.  

Here are some pics of the Juniper tree/log after I band-sawed them in half.  It appears there will be plenty of pins/knots for this newbie to work around and figure out but I will admit I am mesmerized by the color of this wood.

Enjoy!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
That looks like ERC to me. ERC is a juniper(Juniperur virginiana) and I'm not familiar enough with the other junipers to make more than an educated guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I bet the glass guys would love it if you cut them into lams. That is just plain pretty wood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©