Author Topic: tiny tiny rings  (Read 508 times)

Offline Axes bows n knives

• Trad Bowhunter
tiny tiny rings
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
What should I do if I have an osage stave with literally tiny rings. I can almost barely tell them apart? How do I get to 1 ring for the back?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tiny tiny rings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
A friend of mine made a bow from such wood. He heavily sinewed it and took his first selfbow deer with it. He gave me some scraps to build a kid's bow and I won't even use it for that.

Sounds like a job for your cabinet scraper. Good luck...........Art

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
you could do as art said. you could also decrown it and back it.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
A good thing about thin rings is that splinters don't seem to carry as far  :)

Really, I would chase a ring the best you can and back it with rawhide or sinew.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
2x what John siad.  I chase the ring then back with sinew.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
3x what John, Walt and Art said! I love thin ringed osage. You just have to improve the back strength with rawhide or sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »
X4  :deadhorse:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I back these types of staves with bamboo, glue in 3" of reflex and they make exceptional bows.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Yep all the above, scrape very gently and get some really good lighting straight above your work area. Like the rest have already said, this one would be an excellent candidate to put a backing on. Let us know what you decide to go with for the backing, I'm interested in this myself.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
I'd decrown it and make a self bow...no backing.

Try it out.  It can be done...keep it wide.

There's a picture in one of the bowyers bible with a decrowned osage bow...no backing.  Looks beautiful.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Not to hijack a thread but to further clarify, and perhaps help Axes more. Just curious for opinions - would this qualify in that category? Sometimes I think the pictures make the rings look wider than they are but then i wonder if me eyes (and fear - LOL) makes them look thinner when i look at the actual stave. It is actually both ends of a very old, dry stave, and I've done a little work on it already. Oh, also it's not very deep - after I took the bark and a little of the under layer off, the depth is only about 7/8" at the small end and 1 3/8 at the larger (second picture). So what may appear to be wider rings to chase are actually too low in the stave, if ya know what i mean. I may have to add wood for a handle as it is - LOL.

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Those thin rings of yours Bernie would be heaven compared to what my friend made his bow out of. No late wood what so ever was visable. Rings were not readily distinguishable in his wood.

And this from a notiable Osage seller. Who would have thunk.........Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Wow!

I just took a couple comparable pictures, as it is now, to show the depth better and will post in a few minutes.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Here are current pics with a tape measure (taped) across the ends to show where the rings are within the stave ends. The tape measure is set with the 2" mark at top of stave (but of course the measure curves out some). Don't know if it helps or not but does show how thin the stave would be getting if I "chase" down very deep.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Maybe took 'er on down another 1/2" or so Bernie. Or down to what you thank is an exceptable back ring. Thin rings don't really mean all that much as long as the early/latewood ratio is still good. Which yours looks like it is. Some type of backing is an option as is adding a handle piece if you decide to cut down to larger rings......Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Sounds good, Art. I really would like to take it down a little more, and see how it looks, while staying in the thinner rings. That'll get rid of some old worm holes also. I'd just as soon stay away from backing if possible though, as I love the look of Osage. (I do have a roll of rawhide if it becomes a needed item, however - LOL). Not a big thing about using a handle piece, one way or the other, if I need to.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©