Author Topic: Riser shapeing?  (Read 653 times)

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser shapeing?
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
So what is the best and qickest way to shape risers, power tool that is.  I have a router and could set something up with it or what else would you buy if you could, within reason.  I am trying to get set up to build some bows this spring and need to get everything together.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser shapeing?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I use a combo belt sander for 75% of the wood removal and various rasps for the rest. An oscillating spindle sander would be a good buy though. Its my next purchase.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Just looked a a oscillating spindle sander.  Could a router be set up to work like that just without the oscillation?
Brian Harris

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
The oscillation is key.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Darn!
Brian Harris

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Menards sells a $100 unit that would probably last for a bit. You could use your router to cut your tapers in both ways though.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Tools I use Belt/disc sander, Oscillating spindle sander.  Then after the hand tools are used I use a hand held orbital sander as much as I can before having to go back to hand finish sanding.

Shawn

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I just converted a standard belt/disk sander into a jim dandy vertical edge sander for bow building.  Done two bows with it now and I'm extremely pleased, even though I didn't need the tool...  I just had the sander and wanted to see if I could come up with a way for folks to build an effective,  cheaper bow sander than the big 80" monster I normally use.

Anyway, I did a build-along of the work and it's posted on my web site:   www.dickwightman.com   click on Archery Activities, then scroll down to "Converting Sander..."
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
When it comes to shaping the handle area and the tips and overlays the osc. drum sander or a drum on the drill press is my go to tool.
I have a $100 sears unit, Grizzly and others are prices close. Having a vacuum connection for the dust is a good idea.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
I do 90% of my riser shaping with a 3" drum in a drill press, and the rest with a ridgid belt sander.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by GREG IN MALAD:
I do 90% of my riser shaping with a 3" drum in a drill press, and the rest with a ridgid belt sander.
I like this idea because then you can't nick any other part of the bow on the big sander.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I am with Greg have used a 3" and 2" drum in my drill press for years.  Then the rasps and files, I have a pneumatic sanding sleeve but haven't been able to find the correct size sleeves any longer.  I can't remember where I got it, dang it.  Has anyone tried one of the flap sanders with the slashed ends for finish sanding?  I don't enjoy hand sanding.

Offline needcoffee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
I use the "flap" sanders on metal for polishing and cleaning rust off.  When I have tried them on epoxy and wood during refinishing a canoe they removed way too much way too quickly.  I do not think they would be suitible for finish sanding.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by needcoffee:
...  I do not think they would be suitible for finish sanding.
they sure sound awesome for roughing out...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
My main tool is the Rigid Oscillating belt sander. Great tool. Then I move to files, rasp and sand paper to finish up. A dust collection unit is nice also.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline mtquivers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Nothing can ruin a riser faster than a ROUTER!!

If your speaking of risers for 1pc. forms. Mark your shape on the riser blank, cut it as close as possible with a band saw then use a drum sander or robo sander to finish. Shortcuts usually come at a price.
Van Bateman

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I start with a ferriers rasp then a Nickolson 4-1 rasp then my Ridgid belt/spindle sander then smaller finer files and finally hand sanding.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I hate to say it here but I can't stand the feeling of using a rasp.  Like fingernails on a chalk board to me.  I think I will get a sure form soon and try it but the rasp drives me crazy.
Brian Harris

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I use an electric bandfile alot, it takes  1/2" x 18" sanding belts.. I got mine at Harbour Freight for about $30?? I have used it on 9 bows so far..I bought a used Jet Oscillating spindle but havn't used it, I just need some sanding sleaves..think I will order some tonite. I should have bought the Rigid belt/spindle combo, it sure looks handy!

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I use a craftsman 36" belt sander, mostly the rounded end,a dremel tool, then elbow grease with a 4in1 and just sand paper by hand. But would really like to get a spindle sander also. looks like they would help a lot.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©