Author Topic: Centershot Selfbow? Can it be done? Think again  (Read 370 times)

Offline Rain Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Centershot Selfbow? Can it be done? Think again
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:38:00 AM »
It wouldn't look traditional at all, but I think it'd be worth a try to see if it can be done.  I know that making a selfbow centershot would cause it to break... but what if you built around your shelf to make your handle withstand the force???  Hmmmm.... any thoughts?  I'm gonna try it soon

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centershot Selfbow? Can it be done? Think again
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »
You can make a selfbow center shot. Just make the sight window of the riser thicker back to belly. Just increase the handle area a couple inches to accomodate the extra length needed.
Loading an arrow in the bow planned above wont be too fun and you'll loose your line of sight to the target. Also I fear archers parodox will have you arrow slapping wood if not over spined.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
That'll work.  In fact I've seen some holey handled bows before.  Make it.  Show us.

Joe's plan works well too.  They look OK when the bowyer does something more like a semi locator, not too radical non-pistol grip deal.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Always fun to to experiment just to see what happens but having a center shot selfbow is not an advantage in obtaining good arrow flight.

I am up to 133 on the numbers of selfbows I have made, never made a center shot bow. People shooting my bows have done real well in tournaments all the way up to a national level which illustrates my point about center shot bows being a plus.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Eric nailes it as did John and Joe. I agree, it can be done, it doesn't really help. Make one though, it will be a fun project. DOn't forget the pics.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Shooting a classic-handled selfbow well requires a relatively high level of commitment to practice and knowledge of equipment.  A crisp and consistent shooting style as well as finely tuned bow and arrows combo is needed.  I have not been able to maintain that level of commitment the past few years so I shoot a glass recurve most of the time.  I can pick it up about any time, regardless of layoff, and know I am in the kill on my first shot.

This year I am hunting elk with a selfbow again so the commitment starts anew.  I haven't made the bow yet but it will have a semi-locator grip and a slightly cut-in shelf.  It will not be centershot however.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
how would you hold such bow- with all that material right where your first two fingers need to be??!!?
it would be fun to see though

Offline Okie 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
... or you could find you a stave that grows around a limb and use that for the center of your bow... like this one. These staves are kinda hard to find though.   ;)

Take a kid hunt'n. (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old?!) Bear Creek Selfbows

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Now that's just kinky Okie  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Okie 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Yeah, and I have a sister stave to it also. Been looking for these for several years now. Actually this one went to a guy in Pennsylvania and the other... well... is for ME.   :D
Take a kid hunt'n. (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old?!) Bear Creek Selfbows

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
i've seen an antique bow just like that. the limbs screwed in on the center part of the bow. the limbs were wood and the center part was metal. the arrow was supported 360 degrees by bristles. kind of like the modern wisker biscut arrow rest. funky looking thing.
                                don

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Seems like sight picture might be a bit obscured for me.  I'm not purely a gap shooter as with my old eyes the tip of the arrow is a blur anyway.  But I do like to be able to see the tip of the arrow.
Steve

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Here's one I made. The grain rolled around a knot on this one. I had to add some shoe leather to complete the handle.  It turned out to be almost center shot.

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©