Author Topic: Trying - To Get My Hands/Head Back Into It  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying - To Get My Hands/Head Back Into It
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Wow Bernie. Those are some tight rings.  Watching, reading, and learning....
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
That's what's it's all about, isn't it Bel? I enjoy those parts as much as the end result - almost    :D .
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I swear, I think this stave is trying it's best to turn me into a crazy old man - wait a minute, I'm already one of those    :D

Seriously though, no mater what I do, I don't make much progress. I've even tried scraping with a single-edged razor blade and very little pressure. I pick out, and go at, an "Island" and just about the time it looks like it might be going to disappear, another striation, whorl, or island will show up where it was. I fear that if I get too aggressive I will soon find myself out of the desirable thin rings, and into the wider rings (seen on the "End" pics earlier). That might be a suitable solution too but it will not leave me very much for tillering, and leaving wood around knots on the belly, etc. What really gets to me is just that I can't seem to clear this back up. It's really interesting looking but I know it's not "right" - yet!  Oh well, never say die - just letting y'all know I'm still gnawing away at this "lovely"    :goldtooth:    :dunno:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Don't know what to tell you Bernie! Has Ruddy had the chance to look it over? Any chance it's back  can be flattened and backed? Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Ruddy and I do plan to get together over it again some time this week, if possible. We were going to Sat. but other things came up. Backing is a possibility but not something I particularly want to do to it, except perhaps as a last resort. Just not my cup of tea right now. I was mostly just letting folks now where "she and I" stand at this point - and venting a little, I guess - LOL. Thanks for looking anyhow.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Friend Ruddy eyeballin' my troublesome stave in his shop and encouraging an "island" to disappear using a goose-neck cabinet scraper, today:

Yep, I tooled up to Ruddy's this afternoon and we put our heads together to help each other solve problems of frustrations with our chosen "fun-time" hobbies - you all know how that goes, I'm sure      ;)   What would we do without friends who are willing to help?

I solved some troubles he was having with using a Flemish Twist string jig to make strings for his bows, and he helped me see better (with his eyes) that I'm not really going crazy - there really are a bazillion various level islands of rings showing up on the back of my (hopeful) bow. He assured me he is seeing the same thing I am but much clearer, and more sensibly, with his better eyesight. I wasn't sure enough about what I thought I was seeing to be sure exactly what it was and/or how to make it get any better. I think, with his help I now have a better handle on it and may be able to work it - slow, easy and with cautious patience -   :D  

If not, like I told Ruddy, I will crank up the riding mower, shave the back off the stubborn stave, and see how it likes them jelly beans -     "[dntthnk]"   (not really     :D  )

While Ruddy layed out his new String Jig, I followed his example and was able to do a little cleaning up on the stave back also - we only did a little but it's a start, and something i will attempt to continue.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
My eyes are my biggest handicap also Bernie. Why, once upon a time I could split a pencil mark right down the center with a chainsaw  :readit:  . Now I can't even get the saw started  :(  .

Really nice to have good help when you need it. Good on Ruddy! You ought to buy that boy a whole case of bee.......ah, jelly beans  ;)  !

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
What pencil mark  :help:    :help:    :banghead:
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Oh no! Memory gone along with eyesight too!!!   :saywhat:   ...........Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
LOL - y'all are right, all the way around. What were we talking about now    :confused:  Oh yeh, Ruddy's brown pencil holder on his workbench there - kinda neat, the way it's made to look like a bottle, huh?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
bernie, im always glad to help. i made the rest of the string jig up today. i even attempted a string. all i can say is   :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
You'll get it, bud. The thing to do though, since we are both available, and both have the "stuff", is to make one (together) each on our own jig at the same time, a step at a time. You just a bit after me (you know, it's  known as demonstration/application type instruction), and after that it'll all fall in place for you (easier with each one you do). We'll get together again (real soon) and do that. Gotta go to J'ville and Lejeune tomorrow though, for prescriptions, etc.

BTW - I ordered a (3) set of the thin Cabinet Scrapers from 3 rivers today, to beef up my selections. They should be here early next week, judging from past service.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Bernie, if you ever need something a little easier on the ol' hands look into the wood spoon carving tool. Made mine myself, added a much longer handle for more leverage..........Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
My hands do tend to cramp when using the cabinet scrapers - (why I had to give up knapping too). I'll have to see if i can find something on that and take a look-see. Thanks, Art.

Would this be what you refer to?

Blade Blank:

(For info, not inexpensive, what good tools are; just the blank blade runs 30 dollars where I found these pics - knife runs close to 50 to 75. Sure looks like it would be a handy tool to have around though.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
That's it Bernie. Put a 12-14" handle on it and then you really have a tool that's easy to use. Made mine from a small file and added a little more twist to the blade.......Art

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I believe it, Art but you are "craftier" than I - LOL. I can handle the handle (pun intended) part OK but I'm not much at working steel. I'll keep my eyes open at the "sales" I haunt, and, if I don't run across one, I'll break down and order one of those pretty blanks. Really looks neat (and useful).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I use the exact same pencil holder Rudy does Bernie!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
LOL - There's a lot of those going around these days, P D    ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
bernie, you aint givin away my secrets to success are ya   :D
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
LOL - Who, me?    :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©