Author Topic: Twisted tips-What Now  (Read 257 times)

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisted tips-What Now
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
For all of you advanced self bow makers- can a finished bow with twisted tips be heat treated back so the string lines up better?  I am a beginner at best but hate to see a buddys bow go to the fire.  Any direction or help would be great.
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisted tips-What Now
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
If wood was removed unequally from one side then heat alone will probably not help you, but if the sides are the same thickness and even then yes you can get it out with dry heat. Over correct the twist and hold it there until cool to the touch.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
How many degrees of twist? Jawge

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
I will have to see just how even the thickness is.  I suppose it is worth a try to straighten, over time it will break.  I will take a look at the tips, i don't think they are too bad.  Thanks

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
It all depends on how it shoots whether or not I would mess with it and how bad the twist is.
If the twist isn't super bad and the bow shoots fine like it is, then I wouldn't mess with it.
But if the string is way off to one side and it doesn't shoot consistently well, then I would try to get some of it out before I trashed it.

I've got a flatbow I made out of Osage and the stave I used was absolutely hideous. I made it into a flatbow just to prove that I could. I took out about as much twist and canter from the entire length of the bow as I was really comfortable with. The thing is that is very accurate and doesn't seem to affect the way it shoots, so it is what it is. I went ahead and finished it and it's still shooting great and a load of fun to shoot. It's the most simple bow a guy could have and that's what I love about it.
I might make a few more in the future because I've had some guys ask me for one exactly like it.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I would have no qualms about tweaking a finished bow with a heatgun.  In fact I've done it many times.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I think I will take a shot at it.  Thanks for the info.  I hate to see a good bow go down.  I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©