Author Topic: Korean Composite bows  (Read 222 times)

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Korean Composite bows
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I have tried to make 1 composite bow so far and havent been very succesfull due to rushing it and not following proper steps, my main regret is the amount of sinew wasted. Experience is the best teacher tho and we all learn form our mistakes. I would like to start a korean composite bow like discribed in the TBB volume 2 and 3-in detail. In volume 2 I noticed the author was not very supportive of the korean composite bow and made it sound unrealiable and easily breakable. In volume 3 though the author goes into detail about them and gives you instructions on how to make one. I would like to do this myself, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with these composite bows or thinks they are also unrealiable or if they will prove to be too challenging for me and I should try to make a different type of composite bow for my second try.
Chris

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Korean Composite bows
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I personally love a challenge. I say go for it, I would love to see you build it! Those seem like some pretty awesome bows.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I have some gemsbok horn I will probly use. Thanx for the reply.
Chris

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Adam Karpowicz's book, "Ottoman Turkish Bows manufacture and design" is an excellent resource for building Asiatic composite bows. Also, contact James Parker, Huntworthyproductions(a sponsor). James makes beautiful composite bows, all the way they were originally made. This past year he has been making 6 or 8 different Asiatic composite bows, each in different stages of completion. James won "Bow of the Year" on PA with one of his composites(an American Plains style composite) and had a composite win "Bow of the Month" last month.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©