3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to buy a custom recurve  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Tommy_B

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to buy a custom recurve
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
I need some advice on which custom recurve to purchase. I have read alot posts on Trad Gang and think I have narrowed my cohices to 4. Black Widow, Morrison, Brackenberry and CheckMate. I am a new Trad mamber but have been shooting bows for over 30 years. Wanting now to get back into traditional archery.  Thanks

Offline Dale Graves

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to buy a custom recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Tommy,
the people at B.W. are the best guy's I've dealt with lately. My new bow is awsome! They done me right, so I speak up every chance I get to put a plug in for them.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Another vote for Black Widow.  I love my PMA II.  They make a great bow, and likewise provide excellent customer service.  You can also take advantage of their 'try before you buy' program.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
Morison! They are works of art as well as high performance and the man that builds the bows is as nice of fellow as you will ever meet. He stands behind his products.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
see the silver tip thread it speaks for itself

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Ever Check out Fedora, Their take down is a real nice bow.
TGMM

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Tommy, I am a firm beleiver in supporting the local guy, but in my case it's for selfish reasons.

I want to make sure the grip is perfect, and I can meet the guy who's making my bow and get a feeling if this is a labor of love, or just a labor.

You have some great bowyers within about 2.5 hours of where you live.  Bill Dunn of Zipper   www.zipperbows.com  and Brandon Stahl  www.roseoakbows.com   immeaditely come to mind.

Morrison would only be another hour or so past them.

If you are just getting back into trad hunting, I would think you could learn an awful lot from visiting one of those guys.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I would have to recomend Blacktail. Norm is a super guy and builds wonderful bows. Black Widow would be my second choice. Another fine bow.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Polls are interesting BUT always shoot before you buy. You have a short list so go to a big shoot and try some of these bows. BW, Morrison and CheckMate will all be at Compton (I think). Could be at Cloverdale too but check that first. Each of the bows on your list have very strong merits. Overall evaluation of all is very close. When looking at top of the line bows, don't expect to see a big difference. The difference will be subtle and that subtle difference is ... Well, it is you. We are all different so these bows fit us differently.

Shoot before you buy and buy the best one (you can afford) for yourself. If you settle for something less you will always lust after the bow you wished you bought.

Oh, for me, I bought the Widow…. But I have a Bob Lee, Morrison and Adcock I like too. I just shoot the Widow the most.

This is all fun, enjoy!

Bill
Aim Small

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
I plan on being at Cloverdale with as many Chek-Mate bows I can get between now and then.  BW was there last year, along with gobs of others.  Bob Morrison skipped Cloverdale last year for Comptons.  Not sure if he will be at either one this year.

The big shoots are a great opportunity to try out bows and compare.

Chad

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Ever thought about Ron King's ( fox archery ) in Wallowa Ore? His bows are works of art and great hunting tools
Make a life, not a living

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Fedora and Morrison offer a try before you buy program. You need to spend a week with any new bow to make a good decision. Both of those bows are the cream of the crop.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
I would definatly shoot them before you make your decison, with that said I voted BLACK WIDOW.  In my uninformed opinion, I think you are splitting hairs between most of the "high end" custom bows.  The guys at Black Widow are great to deal with, and their customer service is absolutely the best.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Morrisons are finicky in his T/D curves, the BWs are nice bows as well as the Bracks and Chek-Mates. I would buy two Chek-mates or possibly three for the price of just one of the others bows. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Morrisons are the best.  Very quiet with excellent performance.  Bob is also a great guy to deal with.

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 02:45:00 AM »
Black widows are nice and great shooters.  I don't like the way they laminate their wood, so I would prefer a Brackenbury or Morrison.  Blacktail is the most beautiful bow on the market, without a doubt and they shoot great.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
All of your choices are well crafted and good performing bows. However, I would wade in with a used bow first. If you have to buy new then minimize your initial investment and go with a Checkmate. You will have no problem unloading it if you wish to upgrade (cost) to another bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©