Author Topic: which bandsaw blade?  (Read 266 times)

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
which bandsaw blade?
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I have a Grizzly 14" bandsaw with a 6" riser block that I use for carving decoys.  I have my first osage stave to attempt my first selfbow now.  What blade do you guys recommend for cutting osage?

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which bandsaw blade?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I have only been doing glass bows, but most of what has been suggested to me is a 4 tpi blade. I just buy the ones at Home Depot since they are easy for me to get and after a couple cuts on the glass they are pretty dull anyway. I end up buying a blade per bow.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Suffolk machinery, timber wolf, 1/2" x 4 tpi positive claw (1/2 x 4PC) for seasoned wood or 1/2" x 3 TPI alternate set (1/2 x 3AS) for green wood.   http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/silicon-steel-carbide-blade-selection-chart/  

You'll get a cleaner cut on the seasoned wood with and burn up less on the green wood this way.

You should be able to make 10-20 seasoned wood or 20-30 greenwood selfbows with each blade if you follow the tuning instructions in Suffolk's catalog.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Go with the the Timberwolf blades.  They are awesome!

Offline S Biles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
After going through blade after blade, especialy cutting through risers with phenolic and fiberglass i discovered the lennox trimaster. This is a carbide tipped bandsaw blade. They are a bit pricey, an 80 inch blade runs about 95 dollars. However over the long run its worth the investment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©