Author Topic: Kids bow?  (Read 208 times)

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids bow?
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I want to make my daughter a bow.  This will be her first.  She is almost 3 and i measured her "wingspan" fingertip to fingertip to be 34 inches.

I guess I really have 2 main questions.  

First how do you figure a draw length?  I think I should tiller it beyond the initial intended length.

Second what kind of draw weight should i shoot for?  I was thinking like maybe 8lbs or am i way off.

I know kids vary drastically in strength and build but mainly just looking for opinions.  could always build another if needed.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Make it as tall as she is and 1" wide, bendy handle.  Tiller it to pull 15-20# at 20".  That way she can grow with it.  The bigger she gets, the farther she pulls and the more weight.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline needcoffee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
+1 on what John said.

I am finishing up my first bow that I have ever built and it is for my kids (just to give you an idea of my inexperience).  I tillered it to be able to max out with the kids size arrows (28 pounds at around 22 inches).  My 8 year old daughter is using just about all of the draw length and my 4 year old uses what he needs, probably about 15# or so.  But he is getting one of own soon that will be a little shorter.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
thanks guys.  sounds pretty straightforward.  I'm off to the store this morning to search for a suitable board.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Found a nice maple 1x2.  Wound up making it 41" ntn.  Little long for her but she can grow into it.  Made it 1" wide and tapered the last 8 inches down to 3/8.  Gonna make it bend through the handle.  Started with 1/2 at the center and tapered to 3/8 about 3 inches back from the tips.

What kind of brace height would be appropriate for a small bow like this?  I'm thinking since I would brace a 68" straight limb at about 6 1/2 and its ~4/7 of that maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 to 4 1/2.  What do you guys think?

I'm not to brace height yet but just wanted an idea.  Sometimes things don't follow a straight line relationship when you scale them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©