Author Topic: Will it affect my shooting  (Read 310 times)

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Will it affect my shooting
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
I have a longbow that was a little too heavy for me at my very long draw length.
I sanded down the limbs a little and The weight is right about where I want it.
But I have noticed that now my top tiller is about 1/8 larger that the bottom. Not too bad but is it going to affect my shooting.
I also notice that if I look down the string with the bow behind it. the top limb has the string toward the right edge of the limb and the bottom limb has the string toward the left edge of the limb. Sort of like a elongated figure eight.
Will this cause a problem and how can it be fixed. Truth be told I would like to add about 5 pound to the draw weight.
I am not a bowyer at all but I have woodworking and mechanical skills.Anyone in Utah who would be able to be paid to fix it.

Thanks  :help:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will it affect my shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
1/8th positive tiller is good on the top limb, I tiller for 3/16th to 1/4 at the max on the top limb. As long as the string runs right down through the center of the handle, you should be ok. You have pictures?

Offline KochNE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Shouldn't hurt at all.  Lotta bowyers try for positive tiller up to 1/4" so you're fine there at only 1/8".  Take it out & shoot it is the only way I know to tell.
"As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another."  Proverbs 27:17

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
That slight limb twist will cause some additional shock when shot. Depending on how severe the twist, arrow flight can be effected too........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
If the twist is light enough you may just "shoot it out" over time. I just compeleted a HBH a few weeks ago and the lower limb had a slight twist, its nearly gone now. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe thats how it works?

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I do have some pictures but I cannot find the place to attach them. There used to be a how to on posting?
Can anyone help me out

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
You have to load them onto an online picture site like photobucket.  Then resize them I think 640x480 is the max, someone correct me if i'm wrong.  Then you either link to the album page or copy the html code into your post.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
The tiller looks OK but that is some serious twist, did you sand the edges of the limbs or just the glass. What part of utah are you in? I might be able to help.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
What if anything can be done with the twist to remove or correct it?  I am having the same problem with a board bow I have going right now.  The amount of twwist I have is close but not quite that much.
Paul

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
You did good with photobucket, but you can also choose the bottom option [IMG Code] in the drop down menu and post the pics directly in your message body so it will show up here without linking to your album.
The twist isn't absolutely horrible, but I'd see how it shoots before I mess with it. It could be taken out with some heat I'm sure.
The positive tiller looks just fine to me.
Best thing to do is see how it shoots before going any further. You could increase the poundage by backing it with something or taking a little bit off each tip to shorten the entire length a little bit, but I wouldn't recommend that to somebody with no experience. You could end up ruining the bow beyond repair if your not careful.

I "Borrowed" your pictures and copied them to my own Photobucket album so I could size them properly. They were a bit too big in your file, be sure to go into your settings on Photobucket and set your dimensions to 640x480 and you'll never have any problems with them in the future.
Hope that helps.

Twist

Make

Tiller

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Semo,
For a wood bow the twist wouldn't cause a problem, for a glass bow that twist is horrible, and no amount of heat will fix it. The problem is material was removed from one side of the limb and not the other. The only way to fix it is to shift the limb tips toward the strong side, or remove material from the strong side of the limb without moving the tips. Although if the limbs get too narrow you may run into stability issues and the limb will twist anyway.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Oh ok, I didn't get the glass part. I thought it was all wood, guess I didn't read the post correctly? Where did I miss that it has glass on it?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I can see glass on the back and belly, in the second photo.

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Greg
I am in Utah county but I see you are in Malad
I drive by there twice a week to and from work in Montana
I only removed glass no wood at all
I actually did this awhile back and have been shooting it
I only noticed the twist recently
I think it shoots fine according to my standards but I know at least mentally I would shoot better without the twist
If sanding down the strong side would fix the twist can I add a little to add some weight then even it out by removing it then?

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
Lash,
PM sent.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Houston, You have a problem there.... Greg will fix you up no problem bro...   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©