Author Topic: recurve lam taper  (Read 215 times)

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
recurve lam taper
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
I have always just used a parallel and an ,002 taper in my recurve limbs.  Have been thinking of trying two .0015 without the parallel.  Any thoughts, opinions, reservations, etc would be appreciated.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve lam taper
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I think most of the ones I've built in the past had a parallel. The job of the lams is to build up enough material to assist the glass. I would think adding effectively a little more taper would make the tips bend a little more.If thats what your design needs then go for it. It's a pretty small change in total taper but remember you will loose a fair amount on the tips without the parallel
Total thickness change is what you need to look at.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Mt. Clemens Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve lam taper
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Jess
  Ive been using .002 in. taper per inch, with a parallel, as per "Binghams Projects" on the few bows which I have made, but have noticed recently on the (2) 1960's Bear bows which I have, that he used .001 in. taper per inch of length on both laminations of his bows, with no parallels. One is a 1966 Bear Tamerlane target bow that is 35# @ 66", and the other is a Bear Kodiak hunting bow that is 42# @ 60".   He had a good formula, as they both shoot well.     John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©