3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo core VS $$$ ?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo core VS $$$ ?
« on: February 18, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
I'm looking at getting a new LB but can't decide if I want to pay an additional $125 for bamboo core, instead of maple.  What are the benefits of the bamboo core, and are they worth the extra money?  I need some opinions so I can make a decision.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo core VS $$$ ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
I am not a bowyer so can't speak from the manufacurers point of view, but having bought several customs with both cores - I have an opinion.

I had bamboo on my Whip and Turkey Creek, but only the standard Maple on my Bob Lee.  I wondered the same thing - I shot specifically all these bows trying to tell any difference - and blowed if I could.

My Lee is just as smooth, just as quick and no stacking - the same as the other bows that had the bamboo.

Perhaps this is not a good comparison because they are different bows.  The best way would be to have two bows from the same manufacturer each with the different cores.

However I do know that next time I don't think I would pay the extra for boo.  However I have a Fox Royal Crown coming soon and a Centaur next year - both of these come standard with boo.  Either way I would be happy.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline mildrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »
I've had two custom bows from the same builder.One had Osage limbs the other had laminated Boo limbs.You could tell a difference on the shot.The Osage one had more shock and a little more noise.All I could surmise was that possibly the Boo limbs were lighter.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
IMHO my findings are that BOO is smoother on the draw, less shock on the release, and  seems to fling a faster arrow.Limb design could have alot to do with it like suttoman said but my money is on the BOO. Some bowyers offer it as an expensive option. Why I don't know because their are bowyers that offer it for as little as 40 to 50 bucks. This is reasonable in my opinion.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
As with most things in this sport, I think it depends.....bow design, if the bowyer designed the bow around bamboo or just added it as an option, etc.

My preferance for a limb core is yew, but I can't tell much difference in some bows--and in some it makes a big difference.

Chad

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Are we talking actionboo or solid boo here?  For actionboo I don't really see the benefit other than you know it's consistent.  It's mass per stiffness isn't any different than most of the common limb woods.  It's not that expensive to buy or prep either.
Solid boo is another animal all together though.  That's a pain to prep, but it's light and stiff.  You have to pay attention to the node spacing in the layup and consistency between pieces is, well, nearly nonexistent.  I really like the solid boo in the limbs though.
Of course I also really like yew and walnut!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Bamboo is a better core wood then almost anything.  It's stiff and light weight.  Also has a softness too it that makes for a smooth draw.  As said above, some bowyers charge over $100 dollars for the option.  Jason puts it in his 3 pc. longbow as a standard with no extra cost.  He is probably throwing money away but wants the bow to perform at it's best every time.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
Might have something to do with the design but I have talked to several bowyers who have said there is very little difference between hard rock maple and bamboo. When i sold Chaparral bows I had several in stock with both limbs and I could not tell a difference.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
IAOUTDOORSMAN,    the top bowyers i've spoken to  all prefer to use bamboo in their LB's.  my LB's have boo cores and i think bamboo is a superior core for a LB and worth the extra money BUT...

$125 extra is a bit steep. most bowyers charge $50-$100 maximum and some have it standard

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Boo is a bit faster ,don't know about the smoother part.Bow design makes more difference than boo vs say walnut,red elm,or maple. I built a 60" r/d longbow with boo core,kinda doggy but a good shooter. Now shootin a 64" r/d longbow,more rad limbs,quite fast with all walnut limbs. So in my opinion the design makes more diff than the core. JMVHO
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
kennym is correct, design is the ultimate indicator of performance..

but all things being equal, i think boo would get the most out of any design

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Design does make more difference, but for smoothness and less shock boo seems the way to go. It sounds kind of steep, I think 50-75 is more like it, but bowyers have to make a living too! Shawn
Shawn

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I have natural bamboo in a half-dozen different longbows, fromn slightly deflexed Hills to mild and not so mild r/d Robertsons and Dwyers.  To me bamboo draws smoother and is quicker than any other core.  Because it has less mass, there's also less hand shock.  Also have natural bamboo  in a Great Northern Ghost recurve.  That bow is the fastest recurve of its weight that I have ever shot, and I've shot a lot of them.  In short, I'm sold on bamboo.  Some bowyers are getting a little pricey with it though.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I have identical 3 pc bows from a top bowyer-both 50#. One had real boo limbs and the other has maple. I cannot tell the difference, and neither can my chrono.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
check the pricing at fedoras or binghams  solid boo is only  about 8 dollars more expensive per lam than maple....buying them preground.  I can't, for the life of me, figure why a bowyer would charge $125 upcharge for use boo when his added cost is maybe $30 per limb (depending on how many lams).

and those are one-off prices...buying in bulk or grinding themselves (which a lot of bowyers do) would be even more INexpensive.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I've decided to pay for the boo, seeing as I am already paying for a custom LB.  It seems like there are enough of you that think it might make some difference.  :thumbsup:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Good choice, I really like how smooth it makes a bow. I shot one of Morrisons foam core limbs this weekend and it too is smooth as boo! Shawn
Shawn

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Bamboo is standard on a Howard Hill bow.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
BAMBOO...and dont look back!!!!!! :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Any well designed, well crafted bow that employs solid bamboo limb cores will be noticeably smoother on the draw than any wood limb core material.  Note that bamboo is a grass and not a wood.  

All my bows are superb quality hybrid longbows - three have solid bamboo limb cores, one has action'boo limb cores and the last has maple cores.  

The solid 'boo limb core bows draw as smooth as silk and the holding wait feels lighter than it actually scales out.  

IMHO, action'boo limb cores have little in common with real 'boo limb cores - but appear to me to be a bit smoother than any wood core limbs, and they are s'posed to be somewhat more consistent than solid wood.

Bottom line to me is - I absolutely prefer solid bamboo limb cores.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©