Author Topic: riser layout questions  (Read 345 times)

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
riser layout questions
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
I am new to bow building having built 2 hickory board bows and a laminated r/d longbow that turned out pretty good.  I would like to build a take-down recurve now.  I have access, through a good friend, to forms for the limbs and hot box for curing the glue.  My only problem is I don't particularly care for the riser design he has.  It's a little to bulky for my taste.  My question is, where is a good source for design ideas?  Can I draw my own and if so what dimensions are critical?  I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel I would just like to build something a little unique.  Any help on the subject would be very appreciated.  TRW

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: riser layout questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I don't have any to help with. Most guys see a bow they like and sorta copy and modify it to their taste.

If you use your friends design to get the area where the limbs attach right then you can slim it where you'd like.

If you put a strip of phenolic through it for strength then mass is not as important.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: riser layout questions
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Yeah, macbow is pretty much right.

Just find any handle that works.. then make it your own.  I used the Binghams design then radically changed it.  But it gave me centers and the pad angles.

The riser can be many different lengths.. 12", 16", 20".. depending on what overall length and the type of pull you want.  So your block of wood (woods) will be approx: 2" x 4" x 20" then go from there.

If you do some searching on here, you can probably find someone that has posted a design drawing.
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©