Author Topic: Roughed out first bow but need input on backing  (Read 328 times)

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Roughed out first bow but need input on backing
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Folks,

So after much reading, material gathering and shop building I started my first board bow this week. The plan was a hickory board bow with a possible backing. After layout I decided to go unbacked. So I roughed it all out and have the bow pretty well floor tillered now. Problem is my side tapers are much narrower than I had hoped. (started at a very conservative 2 1/4 but ran into a problem with one limb and had to cut down even more. Now I'm about 1 3/8" wide at the fades tapering to a 3/4 nock. The belly/back taper is 5/8 to 1/2. Overall length of 67" and shooting for a 55/60lb bow. Given this info will these dimensions hold up or would now be a good time to back?
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roughed out first bow but need input on backing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I don't think you'll get your desired draw weight with those dimensions and have a bow that will shoot to your liking.  Your bow will have excessive set at those dimensions, even with a backing.

I think a new plan is in order to fit your circumstances.  Maybe shoot for 40 to 45 lbs or shorten the length and make a kids bow.  You'll still get the bowbuilding experience to bring into the next one, and you'll make a kid very happy.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Glue 4" of reflex in with a backer and you will be fine, in my opinion. I have a 64" 1.5" wide HBH that is 27# @ 29. It shoots hard.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I meant 57# @ 29"...oops! Hickory will take a beating like you wouldnt believe. Back it with hickory about .125" thick or less.

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the help! Given this was my first bow and I'm sure there are other tillering errors I will likely turn this into a kids bow. (My son has helped me all along so he may be the new rightful owner) This will give me a bit more experience when I start the next one for me.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Post a full draw pic before you change your intentions, you may be suprised how easliy it can remain your intended bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©