3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dulling a high gloss finish  (Read 562 times)

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Dulling a high gloss finish
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
I am attaching a picture of my Big East bow. The bow has a very shiny high gloss finish. This past hunting season I put camo tape on the bow so I could hunt with it but I would prefer the finish to be less shiny. I have heard that I could use some fine grain sandpaper on the bow but I am worried that I am going to mess up the bow. If the sandpaper is a good idea what grit sandpaper should be used. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dulling a high gloss finish
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Some guys have said you can knock the shine off with some 0000 steel wool. You could try a small area and see how you like it.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Like Snag says the really fine steel wool will work and you can polish it back up with car polish.
You can also carefully spray some satin finish from a rattle can holding it about two feet away; theat's what I do.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
There is also a very fine grinding powder named Rotten Stone. I believe it is a finer version of what the dentist use when polishing teeth.
Put some vegetable oil and powder on a soft cloth.  Bue--.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
My experience is similar to Bjorn's.  You can also wet rub it with rottenstone.  Either might work, but as often as not, they just tend to polish the finish that's already there.  However, giving it a shot of satin finish after the steel wool or rottenstone puts a nice dull finish on it.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Go to a Hobby Shop and ask for a spray can of Testor's Dullcoat. It is used as a topcoat to  give a flat finish to models, you won't need to scar up your factory finish, and if you want to restore your bow to original specs, it should be easy to remove.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Application of Butcher's Wax, or other bowling alley-type wax will do the job if you do not polish it. And you have done nothing to your bow that cannot be undone.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
steel wool works just fine  ....... if you want a high gloss back on the bow  later it can ALWAYS be buffed to a very hi gloss  ............ much like a car finish  ......... they sand with very fine sandapaper which takes out any small imperfections and then buff it out to a hi shine  ................ In fact if you purchased a custom bow with a glossy finish it was probably done exactly that way  ............. it is rare that you can spray on a finish and not need to sand and buff .

you do want to use caution and take great care not to go thru the finish especially on the sharp corners and edges  .............. but with most finishes it is unlikely to go thru with fine steel wool
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
you could use very very fine automotive sandpaper of say 1200 or 2000 grit.  It'll be fine enough not to take to much off and do what you want.

I like shiny bows!  Wish I had something to trade ya LOL!

Offline Jim Godden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Rub the bow down with some automotive paste wax, like Turtlewax, but don't rub it in.  The wax will dry to a dull powdery finish.  It protects the bow from the elements as well.  When the hunt is over and it's time to hang the bow back on the wall a buff with a cloth will restore the original glossy finish. Works the same way as the butcher's wax mentioned by Naphtali above...

JIM
Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
What Naphtali  said, Just wax it with a good automotive or paste floor wax and don't buff it, till your done hunting.. If the corners get rubbed off while hunting,, Give them another shot.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I once used 4-0 steel wool and olive oil on a shiney gun stock and it was very satisfactory. The oil lubricates as you go then wipe it off.  I never tried to get the shine back as I prefer a satin finish.  I think the wax Idea is a good one as others have stated.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I also use dulcote, easy on and easy off if ya deciede to remove it, comes in a small spray can, will not harm your factory finish excellent stuff!!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
A quick spray of satin poly will cut the shine if it is compatible with the original finish. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©