Author Topic: Tillering ??  (Read 621 times)

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering ??
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
Like Walt, I pad my scrappers using electical tape. I use old bow strings while tillering and shooting the bow in. Only after the bow has a finish on do I fit it for a new string. Most new strings bleed so bad I just got tired of cleaning the grooves/overlays up........Art

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Something tells me some of my tillering woes could dissapear? Dang this a good thread! Cant wait to get chipping at the next one now.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
That's a good idea, Walt. One other thing I forgot to  mention is that it is hard to get the scraper into that the last foot or so of the limb sometimes so I go ahead and unstring. Also, in the early stages of tillering my staves are braces 2-3 inches string to back of stave so getting a tool in there is tough. I unbrace when I have to and leave it braced when I can. Jawge

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I have my scraper sharpened for coarse removal on one side and fine on the other so duct tape is out for me.  I've only cut a string completely once and it was a wicked old one that had served me well over the years.  My tillering strings are 16 strand, full twist B-50.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
When I'm working on a strung bow I try to scrape only from the tip inward when working the outer limb. I have nicked the tiller string a time or two but not broke one yet. Generally I will unstring the bow to remove wood. When I'm near the end of the tillering process I will do a bit of scraping with the bow strung.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Tons of great info guys.  Thanks for the help.
Matt

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
When braced to 6 ½” – 7” my Bowyers Edge will go to about 3 ½” – 4” from the nock before hitting the string, which is where I want to keep the tip non-bending anyway.  Like Pat, I will work the scraper backwards (from tip to handle) at times.  About every 8-10 tillering cycles I unstring the bow, check the limbs and limb tips for uniformity, and make any need adjustments then.

I do not like fiddling/adjusting with tillering strings so a few years back, I made sixty or seventy strings of various sizes from 54” to 68” and have them hanging on the shop wall.  Now there is always one for my bow students and I can grab various sizes throughout the tillering process as needed.  Eight or ten of them are starting to show a little wear in the loops but they work fine and will be replaced as needed.  Oh ya, I hate building strings.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
I work from tips to fades with scrappers anyway so with the string on I just have to be a little more cautious at the tip end.

Everyone's different I suppose Walt, making strings is one aspect I really enjoy. Though my hands aren't all that much up to the task anymore.......Art

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Even with the stave strung I still  exercise it 20-30 times at partial pulls after each session. Then I check tiller. Jawge

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
You guys really got me puzzled with all the exercising you're doing. After a scrapping session I give the bow two-three maybe four short jerks and then check for tiller change. Never ever a problem while working the bow back to draw length.

Perhaps it has something to do with having my tiller in shape at brace height and pretty much just having to reduce weight to final draw length.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©