Author Topic: Need advice on planning my first bow build  (Read 225 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice on planning my first bow build
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
I've been reading over the forums here for what seems like an eternity, dreaming of the day when I can start my own bow build. I've been into traditional shooting for a few years and currently have a late 60's york thunderbolt which I greatly enjoy. I've been looking for another bow for some time, but keep returning to thoughts of building one myself.

I should state I have absolutely no experience in bow building, but have been designing and modeling sailplanes etc. since I was a kid so I'm familiar with working wood.
My main issue is that I have very limited if any access to power tools. With that said I am not shy of hand work at all.
I was hoping that some of you much wiser that I would have advice on what a reasonable project is given those limitations.
Really I have to assume all power tools are off the table ...

I don't know if this is important to the thoughts above but I draw roughly 25" and comfortable with about 40-45lbs

Hope to hear some thoughts from the veterans around these parts ...

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on planning my first bow build
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I started with woodbows and would recommend the same. No power tools are needed and you dont need a bunch of room. Board bows are very inexpensive and shoot quite well. You will need a straight edge, draw knife, spokeshave, rasp, chainsaw file, and maybe a scraper.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Check out Poorfolkbows.com

Offline JD 9116

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I am NO expert by all means but I just started building as well. My first takedown recurve was built primarily with a skil saw, saw zaw (spelling?), sander drum on a drill, files and sandpaper. Not to say it is ideal but you would be amazed at what you can get done.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
My first 10 bows were made with a hatchet, 4 way rasp and a butcher knife.  I made 20+ bows before I got a bandsaw.  So get a piece of wood, a hatchet or drawknife, a rasp, and a scraper of sorts and get to whittlin'.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
What John said.

I have power tools but prefer the romance of hand tools when it comes to wood bows.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Best advice I can give is just to jump in and get started. I put it off for a few years waiting until I could get the tools, but finally just jumped in. I've only made one self bow, about 4 board bows, and I just finished my first glass bow. Sure, you"ll make some mistakes, but that's cheap education. Just get started and if you run into questions along the way you can post your questions here, or search for the answer.. I'm sure most have already been asked. As for starters, I can second poorfolkbows.com

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone who's posted. I appreciate the push to just get started.

John and Kris, really like the idea of getting to it with basic tools ... sounds like I need to make my way to some hardwood boards and get to whittlin as you put it.

I'm sure I'll be posting shortly once I run into my first roadblock ...

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Ben... if you haven't, do check out Sam Harper's Poor Folk Bows web site:

http://poorfolkbows.com/

Tons of good info on the minimal tool approach.

My own site has lots of info for beginning glass lam longbow builders, but I have to admit to being a very, very sick power tool junkie, so I don't think it would help you much     :)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©