Author Topic: Hickory backed bow kits.  (Read 472 times)

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory backed bow kits.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
What do you guys think about the grain? If the grain run if is bad on the core of an ipe or osage core should I pannic?
Chris

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I would like to think that somebody selling bow kits would consider that prior to offering them. But you just never know. Take a pic of the piece concerning you and post it, maybe its just fine.

Offline Robowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Hey guy, This is my first post but I've been a member of the site for over a year. I've learned a bunch from you guys and have built several successful bows and broken my fair share. I've ordered several kits or boards from this guy and have not had one blow up on me yet. I've found it cheaper to order just boards from him and cut my own backing.

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
How long would you guys suggest letting a Hickory backed Ipe glued with titebody 3 dry? And how should I hold them togeather while they are in the form. I made a simple form earlier today. It has a red oak base and 61 inches apart there are 2 by 4s 7 inches high.
Chris

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
24 hours is ample as long as its not in a 50 degree room. Lots and lots and lots of clamps, about 2" apart. I use c-clmaps on the high pressure areas, fades, handle and tips and a variety of ratchet and spring clamps everywhere else. I have 34 clamps and use all of them every glue up. Alternate sides of the bow as you place the clamps. Ol Roy boy from PA has posted some nice pics showing this, he uses all c-clamps. You need to alternate sides of the bow so the weight of the clamps isnt all pulling on one side of the blank. TBIII sets quick when squeezed down, work smart but dont lolly gag or you will be in trouble. I dry run every bow I glue up just to be sure everything looks good prior to glue. I even place all 34 clamps.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I have bought materials from the guy "kfast", and its good materials.  I honestly don't know how the guy is making much money.  

Some of the cores wasn't as straight grained as I like.  But works.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Sounds like a great deal if you concider the cost of the tools required for someone to get into producing there own laminates.  Wood is one thing but tools are the big investment.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
I have quite a few tools the only things I could really use are maybe a table saw and a nicholson #49
Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©