Author Topic: Bo-Tuff  (Read 250 times)

Offline btrout75

• Trad Bowhunter
Bo-Tuff
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I’m in the process of building a 62” Hybrid Longbow from Bingham’s. I’m going to order some Tapered Laminations and some Bo-Tuff Laminations. I would like to know which one is the best for this type of bow and what is the difference between the ULS Bo-Tuff and UL Bo-Tuff.

Offline btrout75

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bo-Tuff
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I thought of another question. How many bows can you glue up with the pint size Smooth-On?

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
On my first one I was only able to glue up 1 TD recurve with it, but I wasn't sure how much to mix up and ended up wasting some. Now if I use 1 plastic spoonful of resin and 1 of hardener for each surface that gets glued I rarely end up with much wasted. I am gluing td limbs so they are quite a bit shorter than what you are doing.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
The ULS has scrim in it and you will find some guys that prefer it over the UL that doesn't for structural reasons.

others say the UL glass is clearer and use it over darker wood veneers.

either way, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

i weight my smooth on at 100:83 ratio and it takes about 1600-1800 gains for a one piece bow, and less on take down limbs. i still mix up 800 grains total for a set of limbs and usually have a bit left over.

a pint should build 4 bows easily.... but you'll probably only get two on you first bows.... everyone uses twice as much epoxy as needed on their first ones...... buy rubber gloves bro.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I got 4 bows out of a pint.. that was 2 take downs and two one piece recurves...   I mixed small and then mixed more if I needed it so I was not wasting much.  Then I got another 4 bows out of a 2 pint system and still have 2/3rd left!
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Yeah, I've learned not to use so much. I got 6 bows out of the 2 pt one this time.
US Army
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008

Offline btrout75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
thanks for all the input

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Kirks right about 2 bows per pint..I mix about 8 oz for a one piece and use it all.. a few oz's squish out when I air up the hose..I use vinyl gloves from harbour freight I like them better than nitrile or latex for gluing bows, they are a looser fit for me..I use a ton of latex gloves at my job. I am using ULS glass for the first time on my recent build, should be done weds night

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©