3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool for MI Deer Rut Hunting?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool for MI Deer Rut Hunting?
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
I've searched here already, would like experienced wool wearers opinions. I am a wool believer & wearer already.

I have a Filson Dbl Mack Cruiser, was a gift & a great one. It is my December bowhunting & rifle season coat. It is rather bulky for sitting in a treestand with recurve bow, and is more warmth than I need for early November MI hunting. I'd like a quality wool jacket/shirt for MI bowhunting, all season but 90% during the rut. AM temps down to the 20F range, but rare it doesn't warm to 40F by noon.

I've cruised the KOM, GW, SI & Filson sites. I'm sold on quality wool & seek a garment that will do the job but is not as bulky as my Mack Cruiser. I like some of the pullover features, but want a garment I can unzip fully. Handwarmer or combo HW/cargo pockets a must for me. I'm a LH archer, so gotta take that into consideration.

I was about to order a GW Outfitters jacket (unlined wool) due to their rep & options, but checking opinions here on a garment that will fit my needs. Jacket/coat/outer shirt only of interest, everything else is covered. Thanks,

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool for MI Deer Rut Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Hey Stu check this link out, this is the wool shirts I wear! Can't beat em!
 http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
I would check Cabelas bargain barn on the web site. Filson wool bibs with what ever under garment you wear. Cabelas has nice Merino wool sweaters that unzip all the way. Totally  worth the money. Also the Zip up wool sweater with wind shear and fleece lining is great. I have one. Thin wool products can be cheeper then the heavy stuff and can be layered nicely.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
kom bowman jacket.With wool swetter.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
I have a KOM bowman jacket and an Autumnwood parka.  Like them both for northern Wis hunting during the rut.  Both are less bulky than the Double Mackinaw.  The Filson is a tighter knit and might be warmer though.  KOM runs pretty true to size.  The Autumnwood runs larger, i.e., I have an XL in the KOM which fits me fine and a Large in Autumnwood, which is on the verge of being too big.  Both have some type of nylon lining to help block the wind.  The KOM is just a little quieter, though I've never spooked an animal with clothes noise wearing either of these.  I think the Autumnwood blocks the wind just a little better.  Neither totally blocks the wind.  

Might also consider a Weatherby wool parka.  My brother picked up one of those a few years ago.  Less than half the price and he likes it a lot.  Good camo pattern, lighter weight wool, but slightly heavier liner which does a good job on wind. Good luck.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I don't think I'm cheap but I have a real hard time paying the kind of moeny they want for KOM, Filson, Stormy Kromer, Sleeping Indian and all the other wool coats and pants out there so I go army surplus and have a few heavy wool shirts from Cabelas. The important things to me are, good socks, a warm hat and good wool longjohns. Then I layer, light shirt, heavy shirt and a vest if need be. Layering also blocks the wind better, it's light weight and fairly tight so the string doesn't hit my sleeve. I don't use a arm guard and camo is not important to me. Warm and quiet is.
lll

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Here is my set up, the top is my Shrew Shirt and the pants are Filson! Great combo!

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Filson makes a hunting jacket with the zipper on the opposite side so it doesn't catch on the bow string and has a double back. IMO Filson is some of the best wool and quality made garments available.

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Stu,
I picked up a Columbia wool hunting jacket last year on sale for around $60.  It worked great this past fall all the way up to Dec. 31st.  I ware several layers under it, and it kept me really warm and dry even in several heavy snow storms.  I've looked at the others and I am sure they are great, but just can not justify the cost.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
If you get the GW with comformax lining you'll be good. Do NOT get the insulation too. Unlined and the wind will hack you apart. Lined you'll be toasty. Been wearing it for 8-9 years now

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Day one makes some really nice ASAT wool for much less than the price of most of the others mentioned here as well.
BD

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Dan, I was thinking of the unlined wool jacket. You mean the same lined with conformax? I'll have to go look at their website. I'm not too concerned about the wind because if wind chill is way down there, I've got my Filson coat. It's not lined but man, it's warm. I wear wool shirts, pants, polypropylene or similar underwear, everything is set except for a lighter bowhunting coat. Been wearing a decent Microtex/thinsulate jacket now for years, but just prefer wool.

Thanks to all for input.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Wool underwear has been key for me in staying warm.
I use either Smartwool or Woolpower base layer.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 02:29:00 AM »
JdinPA,

Dont that itch the underparts?

Brian
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Yeah I have multiples of both lined and unlined and the unlined don't get as much use except early season on calm days.

Good wool doesn't itch. The itch comes form short wool fibers, normally from recycled wool. Effectively you are getting poked by the pointy ends. Good new wool uses the long fibers so there are fewer pointy ends.

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Stu, a KOM Trapper fits me perfectly. Especially the sleeve length. 32-33"   The Trapper is a pullover as you probably
know which can be difficult to get off. I had a full length zipper put in mine and it works great. The sleeves are not bulky and do not interfear with the string.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Here's a link to a company out of Vermont called Beagle Wear.

http://www.beaglewear.com/index.html

In addition to my go-to Filsons, I'm thinking of giving Sleeping Indian or Beagle Wear a try. I ran into Ron Laclair at our recent Michigan Bunny Stomp. He happened to be wearing a Beagle Wear garment and this was my first chance to see it other than on line. It appeared to be well made. I know Ron is a believer in wool so I asked his opinion. He said that it worked well, but was pricey.

In my experience when it comes to quality hunting garments, you mostly get what you pay for. I paid about $175 for my Filson Cruiser twenty years ago and can't seem to wear it out. The Beagle Wear looks like a top shelf product, but so do SI woolens.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Speaking of wool, I just saw in LLBean's closeouts they have a nice muted plaid wool "Maine parka" on sale for 99.00- one price for either regulars or talls-looked like a nice garment.

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Hey Lads,

After reading the posts on this thread, I went over to KOM and had a look at their stuff. The Bowman jacket looks very impressive and I got an immediate and friendly response from the owner at my e-mail enquiry. The fact that their wool is machine-washable is a plus for me. And... it is made in the USA.

Question for anyone who has worn the Bowman while hunting: how is it for roving and carrying a pack? One of my biggest beefs with wool outer garments is that they tend to be way too bulky and even more so when carrying a back pack.

thanks lads

Robert

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
I have a Swanney wool i bought from Paul Brunner, it is great for layering and shows very little wear.  I hunt in cold weather with my Filson Double mack I only have problems when I sit on a low log with a 68'' bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©