Author Topic: First attempt with sinew  (Read 540 times)

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
First attempt with sinew
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
This was one of my first bows, #4 to be exact. It was an osage flatbow that was poorly tillered and very whip ended. So now ten years later I decided to fix it. I bent the outer 10" into 1.5" of reflex to fix the whip ends and aligned the tips while I was at it. I also shredded a bunch of sinew to keep the reflex from pulling out and because the stave is very fine ringed. So next weekend I'll get my fingers dirty and sinew this thing. At 66" I know it is too long for best results but it has a non bending handle and I draw 29". I'm hoping this goes well and doesn't end up as this.   :campfire:  

I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First attempt with sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
That's a fine looking osage bow there Greg. But I think personally, 62" is about max for your draw length to really get any benefit from sinew........Art

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
2-X what Art said.  Have you considered cutting off two inches from both ends and then backing with sinew?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Greg I am doing dang near the same thing you are with a hickory self bow from 10 years ago with the same "issues". I cut it down to 61" ( I pull 29") and Im in the process of sinewing the bow while clamped with 4" of relfex. I applied my second layer last night and will wait 4-5 days for my final layer. Hopefully I have pics in a week or so. scrub-buster traded me enough sinew for 20 bows! I wont use it all in my lifetime, but its nice clean, processed stuff. Good luck with yours, hope it works out for you.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I have considered cutting it down but I want to wait until the sinew is dry and I can shoot it. My main objective is durability not speed, and it seems that everytime I cut a bow shorter I regret it. After shredding sinew for 4 hours i figured out that glass isn't so bad, my fingers are still sore.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I felt the same way until I realized my bow was just short of worthless as it was, so I said the heck with it and cut it down. Yours looks to be better off than mine was though.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
I glued on three layers of sinew yesterday with Titebond 3, I hope this is how it's supposed to look. How much will the sinew shrink when dry(thickness)? Right now it looks like it's a 1/4" thick.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
It's thickness is probably going to be a little better than 1/8" once dry Greg. Just two layers on mine appear to be about 1/8" thick. Did you reflex your bow a good bit to start with? Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Looks nice, yours is a little smoother than mine. I have one layer left to go. Hopefully my bumpy job wont cause ill effects.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Art,
All I did is bend the tips into reflex to fix the whip tiller. I was going to stop after two layers but it looked really bumpy. I added the third layer so I could scrape and sand it smooth. It's been in front of a fan for 24 hours and is drying nicely, still a bit soft in a couple places, but not bad. Waiting for it to dry is going to be torture.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
I like to place my freashly sinewed backed bows where it's cool for slow drying. Seems to get less cracks/seperation in the sinew.

Just me, but with that length bow, I'd applied one layer, let dry, and see if that would've give me what I needed. Then applied a second layer if needed. Three layers may add more physical weight and may be more of a detraction than benefit. But that can be easily solved with a rasp/file/scraper if you so choose.

About 7-10 days is as long as I wait Greg. I haven't noticed any changes after that amount of time when using the TB glue. Good luck, keep us informed..........Art

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
It's been a month, I cant wait any longer. It took an extra inch of reflex as the sinew dried bringing the total to 2 1/2". I strung it today and worked out the flat spots. Next weekend I will start working it on the tree.

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
That looks good I love sinew it saved me on a few bows now!
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
That last pic looks pretty good, Greg. I'm interested in how this works out.
Good luck,
Stan

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Looking good Greg. I'm liking those lines.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Very interesting project...what are the pro's / con's of using TBIII vs hide glue?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Lee, TB3 is waterproof and hide glue is not. The bow I sinewed with TB3 had a kind of brownish color when done and the hide glue had more of a natural sinew look. (I wondered if there was any difference between the elk and the deer sinew there also). The TB3 seemed easier to use, less messy. No double boiler needed to keep the glue liquified. For some reason, even though TB3 sounds like the better of the two, I like the hide glue better.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I did some scraping and sanding today. Right now it draws 52#@30"

This is drawn to 30". The right limb looks flat at midlimb, but it has a little propeller twist in it. When you turn the bow around the flat spot goes away.

After being strung for 3 hours and worked to 30" it holds 1 1/4" reflex. After one hour it return's to 2 1/4" of reflex.

Now if it will stop raining I can start shooting it.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
That looks great Greg!

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
It does have a nice profile to it. Looks excellent to me    :clapper:    :pray:
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©