Author Topic: Truoil/finish question  (Read 816 times)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
Truoil/finish question
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Is Truoil more than a brand name?  Is it a specific product or is it the same or similar to tung oil?  I've looked for the answer on my own and have not had a lot of luck.  The search function here does not seem to like me or my computer.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Truoil/finish question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Try searching for Birchwood Casey tru-oil.  It is a gun stock finish. Birchwood Casey is the company that makes it.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
It has several ingredients. I love the stuff.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I think Tru-oil has it's own formula. I use wipe-on polly (from Lowes)and get great results for a lot less money. Tru-oil is a great product but it is hard to find in my area and it cost too much.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
TruOil expensive?   that surprises me.   I get the small bottle from a local sporting goods store for about $6 and get four or five bows per bottle.   I finished a bunch with the wipe on poly from Lowe's and that worked well too, but took a lot longer to dry well.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I just used Birchwood Casey tru-oil for the first time, I was really impressed with it.  Goes on easy, and dries quickly.  I think I paid $5-6 for a bottle.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
i paid $14.00 for my bottle of tru oil. thats the 8 ounce bottle though. not  the 2 ounce.
                                           don

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I do really like Tru-oil but the cost of it does add up, especially if you make a lot of bows.  Tung Oil gives a very similar finish for a lot less money, and I find it easier to apply in thin wiped on coats.

Offline Ironfist_Canada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Wally world sells Tru oil in a spray can it is clearer than the bottle and doesnt seem to yellow when used on arrows. It can still be worked in with the fingers and cleans up well. Not sure of the price  but up here in the Maritimes it will be expensive.
If you are happy with your station in life , then you are as rich as any king. John

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I buy Tru-Oil in the small bottles. I bought an 8oz bottle once and ended up throwing most of it away. Even with the small bottles I usually end up loosing the last 1/8 of the bottle due to it skinning over. Even storing it on its cap it solidifies on the bottom...but for me, Tru Oil is the best all around bow finish. I can get 5 or 6 bows from a small bottle of Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Now that I found Tru-oil, I don't use anything else for my gloss finishes.  It's a lot tougher, in my experience, than Tung oil.  It goes on easily with just my finger (need mineral spirits to wash up) and seems to be pretty fast drying and self-leveling.

John

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Do you guys apply which ever stain you're going for before you apply the tru oil? Or tung oil if used.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
You can also buy a Birchwood Casey gunstock finish kit that includes a stain/grain filler which might meet your needs. Any good gun shop should carry them. I also know that they are available from Bass Pro shops.

There is another product called GB Linspeed which is as good or better than TruOil. As far as I know they are both modified linseed oil products.

We no longer seem able to get Linspeed in Canada, but they have it on their website in the US.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I just revisited the GB Lin-Speed website and I would recommend that anyone finishing or refinishing wood visit that site. There is an absolute wealth of information there.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Oops, and visit the Birchwood Casey site as well. You can buy all of their products directly from the website.

The stain and filler/sealer are separate products.

For those of you concerned about the cost of the products let me ask you what the time you put into the finishing or refinishing is worth. Seems kind of silly to put hours of labor into a project only to use a finish that is less than ideal because it is a bit cheaper. And in the long run it may actually be less costly to use the more expensive product.

DDave

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I buy Tru-Oil in the small bottles. I bought an 8oz bottle once and ended up throwing most of it away. Even with the small bottles I usually end up loosing the last 1/8 of the bottle due to it skinning over. Even storing it on its cap it solidifies on the bottom...but for me, Tru Oil is the best all around bow finish. I can get 5 or 6 bows from a small bottle of Tru-Oil.
That's exactly my thoughts also Pat. I bought the big bottle and it's started skimming over. Next time I'll just get the small bottle.
There is someplace locally that sells it, but I can't remember where I saw it?

I love the stuff and started using it on refinishing gun stocks, then that just transferred over to my bows. It works great on any type of wood.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Ranger44,

Many thanks for starting this discussion.

If I may respond to a questions from NYArrow?

I have stained under Tru-Oil on the last 3 projects. It works fine.  

Typically, I use two coats of stain and 2 coats of Tru-Oil. I Don't know about Tung Oil.

Hey guys, can I throw out a question on Tru-Oil?

Can one use it on cocobolo? What happens?
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I have used it on cocobolo, it works great but you need to seal the wood with super glue first. The oils will leak through otherwise.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
I've gotta can of Formsby's Tung Oil that I've had for quite awhile.  Use it on alot of different stuff.  Just used some on some snake skins I just put on a bow and it worked great.  I'm real happy with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©