Author Topic: Tillering Critique **Update with pics**  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering Critique **Update with pics**
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Yeah, that area outside the right fade is still stiff Chris. What's going to happen when you draw your bow by hand is that the lower limb is going to round out more and the flat spot will become flatter......Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
So I need to get that right fade moving more don't I? That's what I was seeing also.
I didn't hit that area but just very little before these pics, so I know about how much it should take to get that bending like the other one. Be back later with more pics when I get done working with it.

Thanks guys!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Don't touch anything else except that right side near handle.  Here's the right and left limbs together.  Make the right (top in the pic) look like the left.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Wow, that's a cool trick John......you gotta tell me how you did that. That's got to be an awesome tool for tillering a bow and knowing if you have the limbs even with each other. One limb transposed on top of the other, I'd have never thought of that.

Thanks!

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
You shoot split finger?

Oops, let me back up here! From the looks of your string serving I believe the right limb is your bottom limb, right? If so, then I would have to flip-flop what I mentioned early. Took it that the left limb was the bottom limb. If the right limb is indeed your bottom limb then you DO want the area just outside the lower fade a little stiff. Maybe not quite as stiff as it is, but just a tad so......Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Right limb is going to be the top and left limb will be the bottom, only because the right limb has that little wiggle in it and the bottom limb is nearly perfect.
But that could always change because I haven't done any filing on my grip yet, it's ambidextrous at the moment.

What are you thinkin Art?
Once I get this little bit of twist out of the limbs, I can make either side the top or the bottom. I just figured that with that little snaky wiggle in the right limb it would be better on top? I dunno why I even thought that, it just looks right to me I guess?

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
You should already have your upper/lower limb designated with your positive tiller set Chris before you shot your bow. That's if you shoot with split fingers. Cause shooting split fingers, you're stressing the bottom limb a bit more causing tiller shift. With your positive tiller set, this will automatically handle the extra stress to the bottom limb which will turn maintain good tiller health.

I agree, the left the bottom limb. Cause it looks thinner than the top which tells me that's how it stood in the tree. That and those little snakey wiggles always seem to grow in the upper part of the tree

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Thanks again guys, and glad you got in on the discussion Vanilla bear. That's a cool trick you got going on there too. Visuals added to the pics help give your eyes something to compare the limbs to, all of this really helps guys I appreciate it immensely!

Here's the last pic for the night. I worked on the fade on the right hand side a bit more. Only taking off the pencil marks left by the gizmo. I took the pencil and shaded the area marked to the outside of each limb so I was sure to take it off evenly side to side and then only sanded off the shaded area an no more.
So Vanilla and John.......Work your photo magic with this pic and see what we got.
Thanks!
BTW Art- I'm shooting 3 under if that helps? But only shot maybe 30 times total if even that.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks Scott! I'd say I'm nearly there?
I might just leave it like it is?

Anybody else care to comment on the tiller?

Offline kountzer0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »

The string loops and up at the same bend, the bend curve seems to be a little different in each limb, but both seem to be smooth arcs.

I like it but what do I know about it anyway?   :saywhat:  

Think of this post as an open question, if you will.

Jeff
Greet every morning with a smile. That way it won’t know what you’re planning to do to it - Brandon Sanderson

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I like the overlay of the lines guys, it helps the eyes have something else to referrence on.

That place on the right limb you mentioned Jeff is exactly where that snaky wiggle is. That's probably why it bends a bit funny right there. I'm hoping it will be fine in that area. I don't really know what else to do with it at this point?
I'm thinking that it is what it is and I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for the extra eyes, that's why I post my pics on here to get others opinions and help me see things that I may not be able to catch myself.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »

Offline kountzer0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
I didn't mean that to sound to critical.

If it was me I'd go shoot it...alot

Heck I'd be showing my buddies, drinking beer etc. etc.

I'm only on my second bow anyways!  I think you're doing great Semo...my post would be more like "can I save it?" or "more fire wood or tomato stake?" types at this point with a stick like that!   :notworthy:  

Thank you so much for sharing this.
Greet every morning with a smile. That way it won’t know what you’re planning to do to it - Brandon Sanderson

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
Again.......better than mine Chris! We could split hairs all day with tillering. I say shoot the tires off it and have fun! Those arrows will NEVER know the difference! Looks like a fine tiller job.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the fine comments. This isn't going to be my bow, I'm building it for a friend of mine whos been after me for quite awhile to build him a bow. That's why I wanted it to be as near perfect as possible. If I were building it for myself to keep, I'd already be shooting the tires off of it.

Next pics you see will be of a finished bow.   :thumbsup:

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Your friend is a lucky person! Im sure they will treasure the bow, if not you can send it to me to treasure!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Not to bad Semo. Those wiggles can be a bit of trouble can't they? Looking forward to the full draw pics.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Yeah, this is the first one that I've had to work around them. I need to get to work on that caul and start putting some creative heat treating in these bows.

This one is nearly done, I just have to finish the final shaping of the grip and my friend asked me for a small cut out in the handle for the arrow. So basically all that's left is cosmetic and finishing it, then of course I'll have to shoot the crap out of it for a few days before I sent it to him.

Next up will be my trade bow, now that I've honed my skills somewhat. I feel confident that I can move on to making ****** a real nice selfbow out of Osage.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©