Author Topic: Super glue skins or not?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Super glue skins or not?
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I have read maybe 40 threads on skinning a bow on here and finished applying the skins on my bow 2 nights ago.  I finished trimming up the edges last night and am now contemplating the finish.  The 'how to' says to apply 2 coats of thin super glue before putting the final finish on.  Some other posts indicate that there were 'problems' with super glue, but I couldn't find anything that said what those problems were.  So what is the real story, or is it just a matter of preference?  Why use the super glue first instead of going straight to a spray poly or true oil finish?  

In the end, I don't want a gloss finish so the final 2 coats were going to be a satin finish.  Does the super glue really seal the skin to the limb or is it there to give it that 'under glass' look?

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super glue skins or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Ive never read about super glue sealing them either? I have read to super glue the edges to ensure they stay down before finishing them.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Super glue can get white streaks under your finish.  I just use Tru-oil or Tung oil and I can make the skin look like glass after about 12 coats.  After the first 3 coats start sanding between coats with 120 and this will get rid of the pieces of skin sticking up.  I have a friend who likes the texture of rough skin on his bow, I don't.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Good tip rainman...I need to lock that in the memory bank.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I am sure Rainman means very lightly sand. 120 is pretty course, I use 300.  Whether I sand or not depends on the skins, timber rattler, yes, western diamond back, sometimes, copperhead, never. It is easy to sand the color off a patch of skin.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Here is the link to the 2005 skinning how to that discusses using super glue.  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000062

I have used tru oil before when refinishing glass limbs (and 300 grit paper in between coats).  It came out nice, but too glossy and it's a lot of work.  Is there any reason why a poly spray won't work as well?  I don't mind the effort with tru oil, but I have 3 cans of poly laying around not doing anything.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
A few years ago lots of folks were using super glue with snake skins. After a while some were experiencing cracking of the skins and I assume because the super glue was not flexible enough. Any standard finish will work well for skins. If you like a glass smooth finish you have to build up multible layers of finish. I prfer to use 5 or 6 coats of Tru-Oil and prefer the feel of the skins on the back of the bow and not a glass smooth surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
I lightly sand the skins if needed and apply a coat of the Tite-bond glue over that. Then lightly sand that and then Tru-oil. Never a problem......Art

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Pat, thanks, that was what I was looking for.  Realizing the original 'how to' was written 6 years ago, I figured that there was likely more experience out there now with the technique.  What you say backs up what Rainman says.  I also am not looking for a glass smooth finish as I have seen some skinning jobs that were like that and the skins looked fake to me.  I guess I'll try the Tru-Oil.

Art - Since the TB dries to a yellowish tint, wouldn't that affect the color of the skins?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stinger:

Art - Since the TB dries to a yellowish tint, wouldn't that affect the color of the skins? [/QB]
Not that I'll noticed.........Art

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I usually do the same as Art with the TBIII and never noticed a color change but I use only a very thin layer. I started doing this on a sinew backed bow to help increase the water proofing for the sinew. I add a thin layer of TBIII over the back of the sinew/hide glue, let it set then add the skins. When they are dry I add the thin layer of TBIII over that then the Tru-Oil.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Pat, Art - so what is the purpose of putting the coat of TBIII on?  It doesn't make sense that the skins would need waterproofing.  Why not just go straight to the Tru-oil, or poly, or whatever finish?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
The glue tacks down the edges of the scale sockets (this is what gives the skins their rough texture). This produces a much better and smoother finish with less coats of finish........Art

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Snake skins will shead water but if you drop a dried skin in water it will soak it up like a sponge. I use it for this reason. I know the Tru-Oil will help in the waterproofing but this is just a little extra protection for me.   Also like Art says it helps to smooth out the shin before adding the finish.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
OK, thanks guys!  I wish I had not removed the tape from the edges of the limbs last night, but I will just have to be very careful applying the TBIII in a thin layer and keep it on the skin and off the edges.

BTW, did you use wipe on Tru-Oil or spray on?  I have only used the wipe on in the past.  I also assume that after the 5th or 6th layer of that I can apply a satin poly over the top to cut the shine down?

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
I talked to a couple of know boyers at the Kzoo show and what I got from it was the clean the skin real well after applying them to the bow, like rubbing them down with Denatures alcohol a few times and lightly sanding or wire brushing them between the alcohol wipes, you need to get all the oil out of the skins and real clean from what I understand. One bowyer said all they use as a top coat is Thunderbird.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Also tru-oil works very well without much risk of messing the skins up.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
The key to a nice smooth finish more than anything else is light sanding (I use very well worn 180 grit) when needed. Smear (with fingers) a light coat of TB glue to tack any fluff back down. Light sanding again before appling a finish. I used both Tru-oil and spray urethane independently or one over the other......Art

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
OK, I'll give that a try.  It just seems strange to sand the skins down.  Would that be against the grain of the skin (against the grain of the way the scales lay when they were there)?  I would be afraid of taking all the color out as Eric said.  The skins are Eastern diamondback BTW.  I thought that it was the variance in the skin that is left once the scales are removed that gives the skin the color.  The fluff as you call it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©