Author Topic: Be honest....it helps....  (Read 1688 times)

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Be honest....it helps....
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
This is my first true osage self bow from stave. Its a 2# short of my target weight in this photo, and 4.5" short of my draw. I have plenty of tinker room. I have a slight twist that I am working out with heat. Let me know what you think of the tiller so far.The left limb is my bottom, its 1 1/2" shorter. Be nice Roy Boy!     Thanks for any and all input.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Be honest....it helps....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Well, I don't really know. But thanks for the pics so far,lol. But really, She looks alot better today than she did on Saturday. Did you get a heat gun? Or did you come up with another source of heat? Keep us posted.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
your fades look different. the right limb in the pic looks like its bending more. is this an equal length limb bow? outer limbe on the right looks a little stiff. just what i see. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Left limb is 1.5" shorter Ruddy.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
After looking at it again, the right limb does look like it is bending more. But remember what I said about the crooked eyes.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Maybe after a bow or two breaks and whops you between the eyes it will straighten 'em out Mike? HAHAHAHAHA!

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Pearl Drums, Make a gizmo man!!!  And get those inner limbs working.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I use one Nate, love it! I purposely left the inner 12" somewhat alone. I am trying the mid limb curve tiller I read about it TBM this issue. He mentioned getting the mids moving good, then the inners and lastly the tips if they need it. I have plenty of room to go as far as draw wt and length.

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Hmm, never read TBM so don't know about that article.  I've never heard about that method either.  Personally I always try to get my tiller picture as early as possible, hopefully at Brace Height, and then remove wood evenly from both limbs until I hit my preferred draw weight and length.  It doesn't always work that way but that's what I shoot for.

Who wrote the article?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I've seen better kids bows on here Pearl:) LOL

The left limb looks real nice, the right limb is flat outside the fades. Never heard of the tiller method you speak of.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
They were probably mine too ol' fart! I see what your saying. It still amazes me how pics can be so much easier to read than standing there staring at the real deal.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I see the same thing as Roy does Pearl, a little flat just outside the fades, but it's looking real good! Yours looks nearly identical to the one I'm working on. Left limb good, right limb needs a little nudge.

I'd like to get a tad bit more arc in my limbs like yours, but I've got a little ways to go yet. I haven't even pulled my to the target draw length yet to see what kind of poundage I got there.

I'd just fix that flat area on the right and you may be good to go?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Really great start, especially since it's your first stave bow.  But I have to  agree with NTD.  I've also never heard of that method but wouldn't trust it.  It doesn't make very much sense to me.  I can understand not wanting to overstress the fades so that undue set isn't manifested at the tips.  However, this method seems to be overstressing the inner third of the limb, which will lead to undue localized set...or worse.  Getting the entire limb to work nicely together as early as possible is one of the fundamental keys to combating set.  

The bulk of the work is being done by the near center of each limb in your picture (more tipward on the left limb, near dead center on the right limb).  You're approaching a hinge in both of those locations, especially if you've got 4.5" to go.  Catch the inner third of each limb up with the rest of the limb and you'll reach a fine tiller.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
My only concern is that flat spot is a knot I have avoided for the most part, its the only one on the whole bow. Its a nice piece of wood. I have a Mystic scraper so I could use the curved end to clean up around the knot some.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
even though your bottom limb is shorter you still need to keep your limbs bending evenly. The shorter limb will still be stiffer cause it's shorter.

If anything You might want the bottom moving an 1/8" less. right now it looks like it's moving about an inch less. Other than that looks good.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
So if he needs to get the left limb to bend more to "catch up" to the right limb should he be taking a little off from the fade out to mid limb on the left limb?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Pearly, always include pics of the unbraced side/back of the bow so we can properly judge braced/drawn profile. Without that, we're just guessing at best.

Sorry guys, but you fellows really need to get rid of that grid system for these self bows. What you're seeing now all changes when you actually draw the bow by hand.......Art

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
I dunno stiks, I've made a lot of bows with a shorter lower limb and with a tiller of what I want, the lower limb lags anywhere from a half to an inch behind the top limb. But that's how I was taught.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
How's this Pearly Boy?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement